VIN research

¿Could someone whom has access to Car Fax or some other VIN research run a check for me?

I'm looking at a 1998 Mustang V6 5-speed black with 73,000 miles. It's suppose to be owned by the second owner. He says the car was rear ended and the pushed the car into a car stopped in front. Both front & rear damage has been repaired. The car is clean looking, body is straight and doesn't smoke. Asking $4,000. I haven't crunched the NADA, Kelley & Edmunds yet. I'm thinking of offering less IF the VIN search doesn't reveal any bad news.

1FAFP4045WF223811

Thanks in advance, Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

ford dealership.

9 years old should have 125,000 on it, something isn't kosher. been sitting somewhere for a while.

there is some on-line vin decoders for 5.0's

Get the car checked out by lemon busters, frame could be bent, and you could have other problems with the engine, head gasket, pull the plugs and do compression check, before you hand over any money. what color is the oil? Black - bad That's what I do.

Reply to
Nomen Lapetos

:>

[...]

David,

I wouldn't dismiss the car due to milage. My son bought my 97GT from me back in 2004 and today it still as less than 80,000 miles. Don't know what "Nomen Lapetos" means by his cryptic " ford dealership " notation but if he's implying he's a dealership then you think he might know a 1998 V6 is not a 5.0 motor. :) That said the rest of his advice seems sound, ie: get a good mechanic to look at the car, throw it up on a lift and check for a bent frame, etc... I'd also ask to see the repair bills and slips on the collision damage, or speak to the shop who did the repairwork.

I'm not aware of any specific problems with the SN 95 V6's like the notorious "rear main seals " on the 5.0's but look it over carefully and don't let your emotions make your decision for you.

Sorry I couldn't assist you with a Car Fax vin check. It might be worthwhile to buy a months subscription for yourself if you think you'll be looking at more than just this one Mustang.

Good luck.

Regards, Sarah

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Google North Carolina DMV. They have 15 records on this vehicle but it will you $25 to get them. May be worth it.

Reply to
goodnigh
15 records are probably just oil changes

Reply to
tro

Don't know about NC but in CA they log DMV records for owner change, accidents, smog and sometimes traffic violations.

Reply to
goodnigh

at 12 Mar 2007, Ðavïd [ snipped-for-privacy@esn.net] wrote in news:eeKdnUj4a5YMgWvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@portbridge.com:

The vin tallies with a '98 V6. Having had an SN95 V6, the weak point is the head gasket, they blow easy. Definately check for gasket issues with an SN95 3.8 V6 engine.

Reply to
Paul