Wanted stock 5.0 MAF for experiment

Anyone have one lying around or one they will part with for cheap?

For those of you that don't know, I've been conducting an air filter experiment. It is here.

Anyway, K&N has been e-mailing me over their concern with my results. They make the same claims in their ads and tell lots of great stories to back it up.

The most recent shocker to me was that K&N oil does not harm MAF sensors. The writer claimed to have lost a MAF sensor and having to pay for it. He then took the new dealer purchased MAF and poured oil on it and went for a drive. After the drive he cleaned the old MAF with electrical contact cleaner. That fixed the old MAF as well. His claim is that oil doesn't hurt MAF sensors.

My buddy has a '92 GT (with a K&N incidentally) that I have been doing work on. I want to do the pour the oil on the MAF experiment complete with pictures and results. I'll probably also get or borrow a code reader too. I want to know for sure what sort of damage oil does to a MAF sensor.

So far this experiment has been largely done on donations. I'll be happy to return the MAF sensor too, whether it gets fried or not. Thanks to anyone helping me locate a MAF sensor.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

In years gone by, MAFs had a "burn off" cycle.... when the car was shut down, the PCM would command an overcurrent condition in an attempt to purge the sensing wires of debris..... I don't see any reference to it in the latest WSMs but that doesn't mean that the strategy isn't used. Such a strategy could bake a coating of oil and dust into an impervious overcoat.

Of course I'm over 40 and my judgement may be suspect.

Jim Warman

I don't think oil permanently destroys MAF sensor. A coating of oil on the sensor wires will affect the performance of the sensor. A MAF sensor works by passing a current through thin wires. As the wires heat up, the resistance of the wires increases and the votage drop across the wires increases. Air passing over the wires cools them in proportion to the mass (not volume) of the air passing over the wires. So the voltage drop across the wires decreases with increasing mass flow of air. When the wires are coated with oil, the heat transfer from the wires to the air is affected and the MAF calibration is affected. To a certain extent, the PCM can compensate for changes in the heat transfer coefficent by comparing expected and actual reading at certian known conditions (for instance by passing current throught the wires when the eninge is turned off). However, if you get enough coating on the wires, then you can get outside of the adjustment range and the PCM will set a code. Cleaning the wires will often fix this problem. So, I supppose K&N can claim that over oiling doesn't harm MAF sensors in exactly the same way that I can claim pouring a quart of oil on my windshield does't harm my windshield. In either case, a good cleaning fixes the problem. On the other hand, most people don't know how to clean a MAF sensor. This is the sort of half truth advertising that K&N uses that bothers me the most about their problem.

Regards,

Ed White

Anthony S wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Wanted: please donate one stock low mileage mustang gt or lx 5.0 or cobra to do a durability test at the dragstrip. results will be posted.

Reply to
winze

Wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first.

Reply to
Anthony S

LOL...........Filter Boy!

Reply to
winze

When I win the Power Ball Lottery I plan to devote my life to solving the eternal mysteries of K&N air filters and Amsoil motor oil. I guess when I have the time and money to do that, I can donate you a Mustang - as long as you provide me adequate data in return. Until then, I guess we will both just have to make do with what we have.

Ed

w> Wanted: please donate one stock low mileage mustang gt or lx 5.0 or

Reply to
C. E. White