wat happened to my paint?

I did a run up I-75 this morning from Tampa to Brooksville. Upon arrival I notice a whole host of little splatters on the left rear part of my rear bumper.

They are flush with the paint and appear a darker blue than the paint color. 95% of them are no bigger than 2 to 3 mm accross. However there are two about 10 by 5 mm. Those have light spots in the middle that appear to be the PVC of the bumper. I tried removing them with cleaner wax and polishing compound. No joy.

Does anybody know what may have happened here? Did some truck I passed or that passed me splatter some paintstripper or corrosive stuiff on my car?

Guess I'm going to be out of pocket for a bumper repaint. Probably looking at $300 or so. *grrrr* Since I dunno who did it, I doubt the insurance (full coverage) will cover it. And if mine does, they'll probably jack up the premium more than $300 this year alone...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I can make pictures of the damage available if need be...

Reply to
Paul

Anyone paint anything near where you parked? Years and years ago when they painted the Ben Franklin bridge my girlfriend's mom had her Trans Am parked in Camden near the river, and when she went to go home there were tons of little tiny blue dots all over one side of her car. The win blew the paint from the bridge across the parking lot since it was close, and many cars were dotted. My dad was painting the fence with one of them fancy spray guns once and forgot to move his car from the other side of the fence, and now it's got a bunch of little white dots on the back side of it. They come off if you pick at them, but it's a lot of work, for a Geo anyway. Just a thought.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

A good buffing compound followed by a polish will take those off easily as well....speaking from experience. :)

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

Insurance companies look at payouts as loans; your premiums will only increase enough to pay them back what you "borrowed" plus interest. Since most states require insurance, you probably can't avoid it; but, if you have to fork over any cash for car repairs, it might not be a bad idea to shop around for a low-interest "home improvement" loan. You'll pay either way, but a bank loan looks good, while an insurance claim looks bad.

doc

Reply to
doc

Which makes me wonder what all the other money I'm paying every month is for.......:)

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

To pay for the guy sitting in the office, as well as his staff of three, who sip coffee and talk to a couple people all day, of course. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS