Water Pump Rebuild Kit for 289

Hi:

I've got a 65 2+2 with the aluminum water pump. I've searched around, but have been unable to find a rebuild kit for this particular pump, or instructions on how to take it apart and replace the seals, etc. I have already replaced with a rebuilt pump since it was leaking, but was not asked for the core. I'd like to be able to rebuild it and have it as a future replacement.

Any information would be helpful. After all, where do AutoZone, Checker, PepBoys, etc, send the cores to be rebuilt?

Fred of AZ

Reply to
Fred of AZ

Any rebuild parts for a water pump would be a rare find. There are several rebuild operations currently working. Other operations have decided that there were no usable cores being returned.... in order to reduce costs, they have forgone the added paperwork of processing useless cores.and started selling new units.

Of you do run across those parts you need, be prepared to have a press and some specialzed support tools on hand.

just my humble opinion.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Years ago I worked at a job where we had to rebuild some water pumps. As Jim said, you need a stationary air/hydraulic press to disassemble and assemble these pumps. Probably the tricky part is to find the rebuild kits for a water pump. If you could find a source, you might be able to rebuild it. Seems like nobody is asking for the core anymore because it's cheaper to get a complete new unit (the metal is prolly cast in China) than it is to truck the core back to the factory. I think you'd be better off buying an aluminum water pump from a Mustang specialty shop than to have your core lying around waiting for it to be reused, but whatever. I recently ran into a Dodge starter where no core was needed. So I guess they are manufacturing the whole new starter cheaper than sending the core back to the factory to be rebuilt.

Reply to
Kruse

Fred,

Years ago you could buy these kits at most auto parts stores. It was just a long bearing with a shaft sticking out both ends. You pulled the flange that the pulley and blade mount to off, and push the complete assembly out the back. Then you pressed off the impeller and put it all back together. You had the measure how far the hub was on and put it back in the same place. They were popular in the 60's. Did you try an authorized Ford rebuilder? They sold parts years ago.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al, and others:

Thanks for the info...looks like it would be best just to trash the old water pump and get another rebuilt/new unit when it becomes necessary. It's funny how I can't find a rebuild kit for this particular pump, but there are kits out there for Model A and Model T Fords, flathead engines, tractors, etc. Could be that there is no market for water pumps of that type, so owner are required to rebuild their own units.

Fred of AZ

Reply to
Fred of AZ

Did a search and found kits for "Y" block Fords:)

What is an average person capable of doing? Where would they get a press or the required pullers? We are getting to the point where we can't even change our shoe laces. And the new cars are getting impossible to work on. Just look at what's under the hood now. You have to remove intake manifolds to replace spark plugs, or to replace a valve cover gasket. On some cars it's a job just to replace the oil filter or check the transmission fluid. Why are we letting this happen? The manufactures can sell us anything they dream up and we get to try to live with it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al