weird engine problems

Okay so I bought this 1990 LX 2.3L mustang 2 days ago and it has a loud clacking sound, the owner said it was the lifters, and sounded like it to me. So i picked up the car, and today swapped the lifters. To my disapointment the noise was still exactly the same! The sound is comming from the rear off the motor, and it about half the engine RPM. It is pretty loud metal on metal banging sound. It is high pitched, which sounds like its not the bottom end, and it even sounds to be comming from just under the valve cover. When I let off the throttle cruiseing the noise quiets down a bit.

While I was in their I also replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

So please if anybody has any idea please let me know! I am really stumped and down wanna dump any more money into it for nothing. I also cleaned the engine out with intake cleaner, so I don't think it could be carbon.

Thanks, Cory

Reply to
Bikerboycory

This probably doesn't help but If manual transmission, it could be the clutch thrust bearing, they ware out about 80,000 miles or so. noise goes away when clutch is out (no power to wheels) It is high pitch sound had to replace two, 87 and a 93 both 5.0's

Reply to
Jon

Thanks, but no it is definetly engine related. I'm sure it has nothing to with clutch or tranny.

J> > Okay so I bought this 1990 LX 2.3L mustang 2 days ago and it has a loud

Reply to
Bikerboycory

You might have a boarder line bearing issue with the cam. You could dump a quart of Slick 50 or Duralube in it to see if it goes away. I've seen that work on a freind's car, then again on a car I had. The noise never came back in either case!!! (REALLY!) Give it a try, it can't hurt. By the way, what did you pay for the car? Dave

Reply to
nospam

I threw in some oil detergent, it didn't seem to help. I did a compression test. All cylinders were just over 180PSI. On #3 the guage needle wouldn't jump every couple strokes. It was missing the compression. I guess a valve wasn't sealing properly or something. Weird, I took the valve cover off again, and took both springs from that cylinder out, and they both seemed fine. I guess the head has to come off to check next.

I also ran the engine and took spark off each cylinder one at time, and the noise did not change whatsoever on any cylinder. It's definetly top-end.

One other curious thing is that the noise almost seems to float (in pitch and volume) just above idle.

Any other help would be apreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Bikerboycory

Check the EGR valve plate for blown gasket. Also look for crack in the exhaust manifold. small crack or leaks in exhaust can sometimes mimic the clacking of bad valves or bearings. I know you think its a metal on metal sound but trust me> I've had several cars in that had similar noises and similar fixes from other "professionals".

Reply to
walt peifer

For the price of a rebuilt head I'm getting a whole different engine out of an auto car, wondering what has to be changed if its going onto my 5 speed? Is their a different pilot shaft on the crank between the auto and 5 speed?

Reply to
Bikerboycory

There is no pilot shaft on an automatic. You'd have to install a pilot bearing for your 5 speed. On the noise issue, are you positive it clicks at half the engine rpm? if not it could be the flywheel balance weight contacting the starter plate. This sound is hard to pinpoint as it resonates throughout the whole engine. Also make sure there's no gap between the rockers and the valve tips there should be a preload on the hydraulic lifters. Hope this helps.

Mark

Reply to
Mark C.