Weird grille

's an early 70s Mustang I photographed at a car show this summer. Ihave a question about the grille. this is the first time I've seen onewith this grille. I read in a Mustang book that this was the basegrille and Mach1's and Boss Mustangs used the other grille, but I'venoticed lots of base mustangs from this era with the Mach1 grille, so Iwas thinking that maybe owners put the grilles on them later. But thenI found some factory photos of base Mustangs with the mach1 grille, sowhat's the deal here? Was the mach1 grille optional on the baseMustangs or what?

Reply to
toycars26

The mach one or bss grille as you call it had 2 horizontal sport lamps and was used on the pony model the e-model and the sprint cars. as well as being available on all coupes/convertibles with the exterior decor group, the 73's had a grille which had two vertically mounted sport lamps that was pretty much standard on all models

Reply to
walt peifer