What are C9OE heads worth?

I picked up a pair of these heads at a junk yard over 10 years ago. I have a buddy that might be interested in them, and I'm not sure what they are worth. What would be a fair price for them? He works with a guy that builds motors and can check them out to make sure they are not cracked or anything. Dave

90 GT Conv. AOD - Sold 00 GT Conv. AOD 67 Coupe 289
Reply to
Dave

As far as performance value I think they were worth more 10 years ago. There are a lot of good aftermarket heads now being sold that are better than these. However some people still might want them just because of the part number on these heads. About 15 years ago I did the same thing as you did. I bought a set of these at a salvage yard. (I also got the '69 year. I was told they were slightly better than the '70 year. Dunno if that is true or not) Spent almost a grand sending them off and getting them to flow as good as a chevy head including big valves and all the porting and polishing they could take. Turns out they were a good head in their day but I think their day has passed, at least comparing them to the aftermarket heads that are now being manufactured.

Just my $.02 worth. I still have these heads and will probably use them again later this year.

Reply to
Kruse

Thanks for the reply Kruse. My buddy seems to want them, and I have no plans for them right away. Just wanted to check.

Dave

90 GT Conv. AOD - Sold 00 GT Conv. AOD 67 Coupe 289
Reply to
Dave

I sold a pair of stock D0OE heads for 65 dollars. I figured they would need

300 or so (at least) to be "any good".

Reply to
Ken

snipped-for-privacy@aol.commie (Dave) wrote in message news:...

I'm not sure too many people read this thread because the C9OE and the D0OE heads are older than most of these readers. Just to fill in some of the younger readers here: Back in the early

80's you couldn't open up a Summit or a Jeg's catalog and order a set of HiPo small block Ford heads. There weren't any aftermarket heads being made. A set of HiPo 289 factory heads was rare and expensive. So the trick was to scrounge the junkyard for a set of '69 or '70 351 Windsor heads. (Hence the C9OE and the DO0E numbers) If you really wanted to keep up or beat a Chevy you had them sent off for a serious port and polish, stuff some small block Chevy valves in them and had them flowed. There also needed to have four "steam relief" holes drilled by each combustion chamber, about a 9/32, if memory serves me. The head gasket already had the holes in it, so you just mated the gasket to the head and drilled where the hole was. To take advantage of the head, a higher compression piston was needed because the combusion chamber was bigger than a standard 289 or 302 and simply bolting on the head would drop your compression ratio. The whole game plan of getting a high performance engine would be compromised if the compression wasn't brought back up. At the time, a suitable street piston was to take a TRW high compression piston and mill off part of the dome. If I still have an audience here, you can imagine why it was so expensive to run a small block Ford back then. You just didn't open up your speed catalog and place an order. BTW, I had this setup described, along with a Boss 302 crank and rods with custom headers in a '76 Cobra Mustang II. My tranny was a beefed up C4 and my intake system was a tri-powered Buddy Bar casting. Yea, I know the first thing in your head is "Farrah Fawcett" but back in the early 80's it was a head turner. It also surprised quite a few Chevys......
Reply to
Kruse