What Cam does my 5.0 have ??

I bought the car a year ago and was "told" it had a 93 Cobra long block and "A BIG CAM" in it.

I'm REAL curious as to what the specs (ball park) may be on it.

See sig below.....

The engine has a TON of low end torque and will burn the tires from a standing start (with 2.73s BTW). The idle is pretty smooth and overall drivability is excellent.

The engine really comes ALIVE around 2700RPMs and is still pulling HARD past 6500RPMs. NO drop off in power what-so-ever.

What kinda cam would display these characteristics ???

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

I always thought 5.0's were pushrod engines... I could be a complete idiot though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Push rod engines still have a cam... The cam is in the centerline of the valley, the lifters ride the cam lobes, which push up on the lifters, which rock the rockers, which open the valves. An OHV motor has a cam (or two) at the top of each head and the lobes move the rockers directly.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Yea, I was wondering what Mike(memset) was talking about..

Reply to
John Wiebalk

FWIW, my 89 GT with a 308, ported and polished stock heads, and 2.73's will burn the tires from a standing start all day long.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Ah I understand a little better now. I never knew if pushrod engines had cams or not. See.. i'm an idiot when it comes to engine internals :P.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Wow, I guess the OHC engines are more predominant than I thought. That question caught me totally off guard.

That was an 8-track what???

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

With those mods and a power band of 2500-6500+, probably something along the lines of an E303 or F303. But that's just a WAG. You really need to put a dial indiacator on a rocker arm to come close.

Reply to
.boB

Hey, I don't see "Steeda TriAx" in that sig. Hrmm. :-P

Reply to
RayS

Not cams, one cam.....

Reply to
John Wiebalk

SHUP=)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

My guess ia an X303 or something similar, BTW what happened to the EFI rpm limit of about 6200 rpms?

Reply to
winze

Cams like the E303 or B303 were pretty common. Crane had the 2040, IIRC. It's pretty much just a guess though.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Isn't the B303 cam pretty much the same as the cam the Cobra motor had.

Someone please enlighten me.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Okay, I went looking...and this was all I could find.

B303 Cam

Intake 284 Exhaust 224 Valve(Int) .480 Lift(Exh) .480

93 Cobra Cam

210 Duration and .479 Lift (Int and Exh).

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

B303, duration 284/284, lift .480 1.6 rockers

Cobra, duration 279/279, lift .479 1.7 rockers

Reply to
winze

I don't know.

Here are a bunch of Ford cam specs (including the B,E,F, and X cams:

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I am new to all this. My 5.0 in my 1985 GT is still stock. Can an E303 or B303 be dropped in without anything else modded? What kinda power increase would it give?

Reply to
Steph

I have a HyperTech chip in it as well.

No idea where the RPM limiter is set at though.... ??

--

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

Maybe that's what I got too! :>)

-ERIC