What could these noises be?

After installing 18" wheels on my '96, I have noticed a weird noise and feeling in the rear.

It's hard to explain, but it sounds sort of like something is grinding...or skipping...hopping? It doesn't matter how hard I stomp on the gas either. Of course the noise/feeling is more pronounced the harder I hit the gas but it even happens with a lighter touch. It only happens from a stop, btw.

Onto the next problem...also developed after the addition of new rims. We mounted the 18x10's in the rear and 18x8.5's in the front. They fit fine, no clearance issues. Tires are 285/35/18 in the rear and 245/45/18 in the front. When I step on the brakes, I get a little birdy noise (that's the best way I can describe it). And the slower the car goes, the chirping turns into a sort of clicking. I know it's rotational, but I can't figure out what it is?! It's driving me crazy.

I plan on taking the car in to a shop asap, but wanted to get some other opinions first.

Thanks to all!

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Maybe it's the Traction Lok or bearings in the rear going south? Mine's been making some grinding noises recently, and I'm having the rearend rebuilt this weekend. I'll let you know if there's a difference.

Reply to
Keith

Sounds like you're ready for a brake job. Probabaly not related, more like a conicidence.

I agree with Keith, sounds like your rear bearings. Also, ao coinkidink.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I've thought of that. What could bring something like that on...besides time, that is? I did make about five really hard runs at the track a couple weeks ago. The tires just spun and spun, too. I couldn't figure out why I was getting so much tire spin, but the track was covered with rubber and the tires are brand new, and it felt like I was getting ZERO traction. Maybe I broke something? ;-)

Mine's

When do you hear these noises, all the time or just from a stop?

As to the braking noise, I've been reading it could be a cracked brake shoe or warped rotor. If it were a warped rotor, though, the noise would go away during braking, but instead it doesn't start until I begin to brake...?

Thanks, Keith.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Now that is something I hadn't thought of. However, something tells me it's not that easy a fix. :-(

Thanks.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Is it possible that the different size tires is causing the anti-lock brakes to activate? Try putting the old rims back on and see if the problem stops.

Paul '90 LX 5.0

Reply to
pdalt

I have two different size tires on my car, no problems at all.

Kate

| > It's hard to explain, but it sounds sort of like something is grinding...or | > skipping...hopping? It doesn't matter how hard I stomp on the gas either. Of | > course the noise/feeling is more pronounced the harder I hit the gas but it | > even happens with a lighter touch. It only happens from a stop, btw. | >

| > Onto the next problem...also developed after the addition of new rims. We | > mounted the 18x10's in the rear and 18x8.5's in the front. They fit fine, no | > clearance issues. Tires are 285/35/18 in the rear and 245/45/18 in the | > front. When I step on the brakes, I get a little birdy noise (that's the | > best way I can describe it). And the slower the car goes, the chirping turns | > into a sort of clicking. I know it's rotational, but I can't figure out what | > it is?! It's driving me crazy. | >

| > I plan on taking the car in to a shop asap, but wanted to get some other | > opinions first. | >

| > Thanks to all! | >

| > Cindy | > '96 laser red auto GTS | | Is it possible that the different size tires is causing the anti-lock | brakes to activate? | Try putting the old rims back on and see if the problem stops. | | Paul | '90 LX 5.0

Reply to
SVTKate

Interestingly enough, that's when mine started making noise. It could also be the rear brakes. I've read of other people that glazed the pads braking at the track. You can take the pads off and sand them lightly to remove the glazing and all should be good. I've still got the original pads on the back, so they're in need of a replacement soon. A set of performance pads whould help with minimizing those problems in the future. And for your traction problems...do a burn out and check for two tire patches. That'll tell you if the TracLok is working. If it hasn't been rebuilt before (it's almost eight years old), chances are it's toast or close to it. I picked up the replacement clutch kit from

for $40.

Just from a stop or in low speed turns. Usually, I hear it when I make the turn while backing into the garage. It really haven't heard it lately, so yours may just go away on it's own...if it's the brakes anyway.

Your welcome.

Reply to
Keith

I agree...if the rolling diameter is the same it will not activate ABS.

"Tires are 285/35/18 in the rear and 245/45/18 in the front."

Do 285/35/18 tires and 245/45/18 tires have the same rolling diameter?

Paul

Reply to
pdalt

The easiest way I've found to see if my Trac-Loc is working is stomp on the throttle while turning at slow speeds. If the car wants to get sideways easily, the Trac-Loc is working. A car that only spins one tire will not get sideways as easily. Especially if it's a right-hand turn, as the outer tire won't be spinning.

JS

Reply to
JS

My car doesn't even have ABS...does it??? LOL I locked 'em up several times at autocross. :-]

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Mine isnt working.... at the track, only my right tire smokes up and my left barely spins. Any ideas? Or is this normal? CC all replies to my email, newserver is messed. Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)