what happened to my lifter/rocker arm??

there was a rattling inside my motor so i took off the top intake and the valve cover where the noise seemed to be coming from... i found a rocker arm / pushrod that is rattling around.. it seems bolted down all the way and pretty damn tight but i can wobble the pushrod.. how do i fix this?? its a 1990 5.0.. please email me the answer

Reply to
XxJoSHiExX

Steph

Doesn't sound good. Either a bent pushrod, collapsed lifter, or a worn cam lobe.

Reply to
boB

i took it apart today... its a collapsed lifter.. only a teeeeny bit tho. anyways, i dont want to take apart the motor. it ran fine except for the noise where the pushrod hits the rocker everytime it moves.. anyways, a temporary solution we thought we would grind about 1/32 of an inch off the bottom of the fulcrum thing that holds down the rocker.that made it so that noise stopped cuz its snug like it should be. now it backfires. i pulled it apart again and made sure they were torqued right and they are. still backfires on that 1 cylinder i would assume. how can i fix this without taking the heads or the lower intake off? temporary fix is fine... please help!

Reply to
XxJoSHiExX

I'd guess that the exhaust valve is no longer seating properly due to the grinding off of "fulcrum thing".

Reply to
Richard

Try a shim underneath the fulcrum. Set your valve lash to zero, +

1/8 turn.
Reply to
boB