What Mustang Did It To You?

I had two Mustangs give me the hook. The first one, which took me by surprise, happened in the late 70's. You see... growing up I was a "Mopar, or no car" guy and never really cared for Mustangs. I was into Chargers, Darts and Demons. As for pony cars, though I hated seeing Camaros splattered all over every monthly issue of Hot Rod magazine, I thought the Camaro just looked better/cleaner. THEN, one day I was introduced to my brother's friend's car. It was a red '65 Coupe with a

289 HiPo and 4 speed. (Side note: The non-original motor was latter dropped into an early 60's Ranchero.) For some reason, after setting my on eyes on this stunning red Mustang, I finally saw what everyone else saw in these cars... what a beauty!

The second Mustang was in late 1986 and it was a red '85 Mustang GT with a 5-speed. My path crossed with this car because my brother and I, with nothing to do one day, decided to go "car shopping". We pulled into a local Ford dealership to check out the new Mustangs, but the dealer only had a leftover '85. When we asked for a test drive, he tossed us a dealer plate, told us it had a full tank of gas, and to have the car back in a 1/2 hour because it was a high performance model. Let me just say that that '85 GT was fully broken in by the time we returned it in 29 minutes and 59 seconds. When we parked it back in dealership parking lot, and turned it off, the motor was making "tink tink tink" sounds because it was so smoking hot and I'm sure the clutch, trans, diff, and rear tires were radiating some heavy BTUs too. We had so much fun driving that car that afterwards I vowed to one day own a 5-liter Mustang. I was hooked! And sure enough, about 4 months later I was in a Ford dealership special ordering my own 5-speed 5-oh Mustang.

These are the two Mustangs that did it to me. Care to share your story?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Mine was a Laser red 1995 Mustang GT Drop Top. Ya'll have seen the pics.

She was sitting out in front of the dealership and one day my hubby and I drove past, I pointed at it and said "I want one of those for my birthday! He immediately responded "OK!"

The rest is history.

Man, I loved that car. Still love it even more than my Cobra. It must have been the sentimental part, cause the car was cursed from the get go.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

mine was an 88 saleen I bought in 1990...I have had 8 mustangs since then!! Currently 88 coupe which I pulled the motor last month and did heads cam intakes roller rockers pulleys full exhaust 3000 stall & beefed up the tranny 373's and now I'm ready for the pavement!!!

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Memory bank is a little rusty but think it was at the NY Worlds Fair way back when the Mustang was first introduced. Saw it on display and told my Dad that when I graduate High School in 1969 I'm going to buy one. Purchased a used 65 coupe with a 289 a couple of weeks before school got out in June 1969. Had it for 2.5 years. Got the fever again in 2002 and purchased a new GT which I still have. Martin

Reply to
Martin

White '64 1/2 conv. (with the 260 V8 badge) in May '64 (when I was a soph. ay Dearborn HS, of all places!)

Reply to
tom

When I was five, my dad won ( yes, won from a radio station ) a Mustang convertible. My dad says it was candy apple red. Anyway, with a growing family, they decided to trade it in for something more reasonable. I still remember running down the street chasing after my dad because I didn't want him to get rid of the car.

Then, when I got my license, I bought a 1968 Cougar XR-7 with a 302. Loved that car but only had it a short time.

From there, I always wanted a Mustang but never got one for who knows whatever reasons, until now, at age 42. It's a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible. Red with tan top and interior. Love the car! Hope to install a Kenne Bell twin screw on it come spring time. My daughter is already saying it will be her car when she gets her license. She is 12.

Rob

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I was a GM guy. Cut my teeth on Pontiac A-bodys, had a '96 F-body but I pretty much viewed the pony cars with disdain. A buddy of mine in high school worked on everything that came his way and I helped out so I got to drive most of the muscle car variants. But he put together a Boss

429 powered, '70 fastback one summer and that car just rocked. It sucked on the inside, its handling sucked, its paint sucked. But the moment you started to play that car simply made all that go away. We worked on a 440 hemi in a lime green Challenger and helped another friend build a 454 powered '70 Malibu, and while they were a blast and loads of fun, that Mustang always stood out :).

But then I got out of the big OHV motors and fell in love with cams. Lots of cams and valves. And pressure. So my real love for the Mustang didn't really get burning until the SN-95's. I had a poster of the '94 Cobra and the '94 'vert on my workspace wall for years. I absolutely loved the '98 Cobra when they came out and I love the cammer motors. Eventually I got my '99 Cobra and the rest is history :).

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

I never did really care for Fords, the only reason I bought my 88GT convertible was because I was working for Ford Aerospace at the time and was entitled to the employee discount. In California, where I was living at the time, every brand of car dealer was charging markups of two to three thousand (or more) over the manufactures list price. So it would have been silly of me to buy anything else. 17 years and a 250,000 miles later I still drive the same car, which has proven to be the most fun, most reliable & easiest to repair (when necessary) car I've ever owned.

Reply to
ironrod

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1123776421.163209.61670 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

setting

I had a more or less two-part experience. The first part was riding around in my friend's mom's '68 coupe (dark green w/white vinyl top, white walls, full wheel hup caps, but it had a V8) and later when another friend bought a slightly modded '69 that we used to party with. The second part was when I hit 40 - I had to own a V8 Mustang, so I bought the LX I still have.

BTW, speaking of Mopars, yesterday coming home from work I saw a mint '70 (or maybe '71) 340 Demon. Orange with flat black. Drop dead gorgeous.

Joe

My Aunts (whose kidding who, it was my Uncle's toy) 1979 Black on Black Cobra. Not much there; 2 barrel, 5.0, 4 speed, rear louvers, sunroof, etc, BUT it was super-cool to ride in when I was 13. 3 years later I had my own 79 cobra, a green/black exterior on black/white interior. I had it running 13's at a time when there were NO good power parts available for 5.0's (especially heads). I miss that car sometimes. Then again, it was constantly broken. Shitty cooling, rear diff, brakes, expensive TRX tires, etc. There wasn't much Cobra in the 79 Cobra. I think I broke about 5 rear diffs in that car (and by broke, I mean

*explode* parts through rear cover).

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

'67 Coupe in Burnt Amber with AT console and a 289. It was a POS but it did it for me.

The first car I ever owned...'70 Sportsroof with 302. My wife told me when we got married that either the car went or she went. I sold the car and ended up divorced within 4 years. Shoulda kept the car. At least I woulda ended up with one of the two.

Now, I have my replacement for what "IT" made me give up. My '69 Sportsroof. Plus I have what is possibly the prototype '66 HCS now too. I have more than I can handle. DAMN!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

When I was six years old, my cousin picked me up to take me to the Museum of Science of Industry in Chicago. She picked me up in her new '66 Mustang. Even at 6, I thought that was the coolest car I'd ever seen.

Fast forward 11 years. I'm 17, and just got my first drivers license. My birthday present from my cousin? The '66 Mustang! It had been a loaner car at her husband's Midas shop for years, and was all beat up. In fact, it wouldn't start in Park - I had to put it in neutral to start it. It only lasted a couple more years, but it was my favorite car - at least until I got my 2000 Mustang.

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Also 2 mustangs... I was a potential buyer when the original 65 came out, but also a bit of a contrarian...I didnt want (with the exception of my classic black 57 BelAir 2dr HT...sob!) the 'same car' everyone else was buying.

So I bought a 66 Comet Caliente... 390, 4 speed, bench seats! (I was single) Many years later, I wanted something different so I bought a badly restored 65 coupe with the rare HotRod mag 200ci soup-up and the 4 speed. It was FUN! Much more so than the 82 Escort I had driven into the ground.

That lasted me about 35,000 miles of commuting and a year and a half before i got tired on the escalating repair time involved.

But my eyes were opened to 'Mustangs' and I went out to used car lots looking for cheap Mustang beaters. And settled on a nice black 2.3 L

4speed HB for 1500. After buying it, I found that the Fox had been rated very good in crash- worthiness and the 2.3 was cheap to insure. So I determined to get my teenagers out of the Delta 88 and fullsize LTD 'boats' and into something that would break my bank for gas.

Thus I embarked on the second of the total EIGHT 2.3 HB's I bought in succession. And the fount of several 'That mustang saved my kids' stories!

Not counting the 88 Convertible for my wife, and all leading up to the 'exotic' cherry silver SVO I bought when my boss suggested it didnt look quite right for me to drive a beater to work. He owned a new GT Convertible so the SVO was quite acceptable to him.

Now the only one left is the 88 Convert... since "upgraded" to SVO.

But I learned EFI and chassis work from those cars and now I'm stuck on Fords.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Dislexia: I had a '69 Firebird, not a '96 :P.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

Easy - I grew up in a house with a Wimbledon white '65 coupe... It was my mom's from as early as I can remember (I was born in '69). I loved that car and when my mom decided it was time for something bigger she gave the car to my grand-dad. They finally got rid of it when I was 5 or 6 and I have missed it ever since.

I was going to buy another 65 or 66 coupe, but since I wanted to go with a bigger engine, I had to skip to a 67-68 to make it a little easier.

The '68 I bought is definitely a hot rod... But some day I will find the right 65 and I will restore it to concours status.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

I worked at the local McDonald's when I was in high school through the late 1970s. One of the managers there had a '66 Mustang Coupe that was very rough (had a rag stuffed in where the gas cap should be) but he claimed it was a prototype vehicle. He let a friend and I take it out one night and it was a rip snorting terror on the street. It had a 390 shoe horned (and I mean SHOE HORNED) into the engine bay but the thing that really got us was it had a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC transmission. We counted the shifts numerous times because we couldn't believe it but it had four forward gears. That car was so light and with that tranny it could burn the tires up at will. He quit and I never saw the car again. I would give a testicle to have it today as it would be worth a huge amount considering the prices I see on production Stangs from that era.

66 6F HCS wrote:
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

My brother still regrets selling that car. I think he sold it for $1,000 when he got married since it wasn't a "family car". Over the decades he has tried to find it periodically with no luck. It was a beautiful car with British racing green as the paint color. He added traction bars and a huge four barrel carb right after he took delivery. It hooked so hard that he twisted two stock drive shafts and ended up getting a custom one made from thicker tubing to take the torque.

He and his friends that went to Vietnam were real hell raisers when they got back home. For about two years he lived harder than about any pers> Yep. The base exchange had a great discount deal with all the car

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE