What rearend gears?

Hi!

Could someone tell me what rearend gears I have by this information? It's a

1991 Mustang 5.0 LX with an AOD, and it's running around 1400rpms at 55 mph (in overdrive). I suspect it's 2.73, but I'm not sure.. If so, what would be the best gears to swap it with? I want to maintain some of the excellent gasmileage I've got to day, but also a little more punch at the redlight.. :)

Also, would I get any extra horses by installing a larger throttlebody and an open airfilter?

Regards Tomas Kristiansen Norway

Reply to
Tomas Kristiansen

Anything you do to intake & exhaust (generally speaking) is going to take away low-end torque & give you extra ponies on top. For gears.. I'd say

3.55.. maybe 3.73 since it's an automatic. 3.73 would be 3 "steps" up... generally you don't wanna do anything less than 2 steps up. I've got 3.73 gears on the way & I've got a 98 GT w/ a 5-speed tranny.. but it's got 3.27 gears right now (stock).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Tomas,

Check the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door jam. If the axle code on the sticker reads:

M = 2.73s. Z = 3.08s. E = 3.27s (automatics only)

If you're concerned about gas mileage, I would not go any more aggressive than 3.55s. If you currently have 2.73s, 3.27s might be okay.

Larger throttle body on a stock intake, and with stock heads = zero power increase. Save your money for something else. The best, and most cost effective, thing to do is remove the intake silencer, which is located (attached to the air filter housing) inside the front passenger fender.

How's Norway this time of year? It has to be much better than this tropical Florida weather I'm expiriencing...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Looks like it's 2.73's.. Guess I'll just have to ordre a 3.55 from the US then (a hell of a lot cheaper than in Norway!).

If the rain stops pouring down too, I'm going to try to remove the intake silencer later. :)

The weather in Norway right now is bad... raining raining raining. Looks like we're going to get some sun soon, and if so, it's usually around 90+ celsius in the sun (thats right, it's NOT that cold here! :). By the way, looking forward to experience some nice hot Florida weather in february... Going over on holiday and maybe looking for some nice SN-94's to bring home! :)

Regards Tomas Kristiansen

Reply to
Tomas Kristiansen

It really doesn't help much to do engine mods on a stock headed 5.0L engine. The heads are the restriction and installing larger throttle bodies, intakes etc. won't gain much hp. Gears will make a big difference and IMO are the best bang-for-the-buck modification you can perform. The next modification I would recommend are subframe connectors. The car will feel and handle much better. Also, a stiffer chassis lets more power get to the rear wheels instead of being absorbed by a flexing. After these two mods I recommend a set of under drive pulleys, and a complete exhaust from the headers to the tail pipes. A K&N filter will add a few hp as will removing the air silencer.

You can also ga> Hi!

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

90+ Celsius?? Holy crap! Hope I don't have to come over there, ever :-) It's raining here in Finland too, though.

-Joonas

Reply to
Joonas Vilenius

"Joonas Vilenius" skrev i melding news:ccc64k$61c$ snipped-for-privacy@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

*ahem* I was talking about my enginge temp.. :P Thats 90+ farenheit in the sun..

Tomas :)

Reply to
Tomas Kristiansen