What's difference in W and X in VIN number?

What's difference in W and X in VIN number? I have a 96 gt with X in the VIN. Thanks.

Reply to
lmeadows

at 13 Jan 2004, lmeadows [lane snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Which digit in the VIN are you talking about? It coudl have several meanings depending on it's position.

See

and click the 'VIN/VCL decoder' link.

Reply to
Paul

What if my car doesn't have a VIN # ??

Then what ??? ;>) ;>)

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

A '96 without a VIN tag? And, did you get a *really* good price? May be a stolen car - if so, good luck getting insurance.

Reply to
Bob Willard

at 13 Jan 2004, Katmandu [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com] wrote in news:PQXMb.37298$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Not my problem. :-) The OP's car apparently has a VIN as he asked about the meaning of one of the digits. If your car does not have a VIN you won't need to use my decoder now will ya?

Reply to
Paul

then your car may be 1) stolen 2) a rcae only vehicle 3) Very collectable

I know of only one mustang first hand, that is both collectable and legally carries no vin. It is owned by a local dealer who bought it from Ford as a Prototype model, and it is not Street legal. Because of the vin plate missing , it was never sold as a "driver", and it is almost exactly the same car as the ones released for sale to the public,................not sure what year, as It's been a while since this was disclosed to me. It is of the current body style...........or so.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Where's this W coming from? A book or an actual VIN?

Reply to
Mick

V= 4.6L, EFI (DOHC), eight cylinder X= 4.6L, EFI (SOHC), eight cylinder

Reply to
19781010

Mine is an 89, and yes, it WAS stolen in it's previous life.

It now sports a Bicycle type sticker with a VIN from the state of NH.

Yes, getting Insurance on it WAS a PITA! I kept getting letters from State Farm asking me to supply a VIN!

I went to my Insurance Agent's office several times a SHOWED him the NH VIN, and he said the would work just fine.

Reply to
Katmandu

I've been "told" that the VIN# "should" be able to found SOMEWHERE!

I've looked all over, and can not find any at all!

Where ALL did Ford place the VIN #s on 89 LX Convertibles ??

If you don't, it's its.

and likewise yours

Reply to
Katmandu

The VIN has always been in two places:

  1. Inner fender ('65-'67), plate of base of windshield on passenger side ('68), or plate at base of windshield on driver side ('69-present).
  2. Data plate/Vehicle Certification label on rear face of left (driver) door.

Starting in the '88 model year, stickers with the full VIN were affixed to EVERY body panel (hood, doors, trunk/hatch, fenders, quarter panels, bumpers). Model or bodystyle doesn't matter.

Beneath each fender, a partial VIN (last eight characters which is model year, assembly plant, and consecutive unit number) is stamped into a plate, and that plate is attached to the frame. You have to remove the fenders to see the plate.

Reply to
Mick

What frame ?? You mean the Uni-body ?

Beneath which fender is the plate hidden ??

Anyone know of any pics of this plate ???

Reply to
Katmandu

And also, a partial VIN (last six characters which is the consecutive unit number) is on the Body Tag which is attached to the upper radiator core support, behind the headlamps.

Reply to
Mick

I suppose you could call it the unit-body since a "frame" might only be considered the front and rear subframes and not the rest of the unitized chassis.

The plate in question will be attached to the outer edge of each of the inner fenders, close to the radiator core support. It would be very difficult to read the plates without first removing the outer fenders.

Reply to
Mick

About 15-20 HP. See:

stevev