What size bolt?

I have an 02 GT.

What is the size of the little bolt head that holds down the black plastic cap over the spark plug?

It seems around 6mm.

where do you buy the socket for it?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

I think someone here had mentioned that it was a 7mm. Perhaps I'll go double-check later on my GT.

On my `03 GT, it appears that the fuel rails are directly above those black caps that go over the spark plugs... it looks as if the fuel rails would need to be removed or at least moved in order to get those black caps off. Do you know if this is true or not? Let us know how your spark plug change goes and what parts need to be removed in order to get all 8 plugs out.

---------------------- "John Shepardson"

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

My 6mm is too small and my 7 mm is too big

My 1/4" is too small and my 5/16" is too big.

Either this requires a special tool, or my cheap open end wrenches made in India need to be replaced.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

----------------

I just checked mine, and I also noticed that my 6mm 6-point socket is too small, and my 7mm 6-point socket DOES fit, but fits kinda loose. Standard sizes did not seem to work any better. 7mm seems to be the closest size. Get a high quality 7mm 6-point socket... this will be the best way to go. But... I did not check to see if a socket will fit on all 8 bolts (due to other encumbrances)... if an open-end wrench is needed, this may be a problem (assuming that a good 7mm open-end does not fit well, I did not try it). Or actually, if this is the case, you can just get a high quality 7mm

6-point box-wrench. Stay away from the "made in china" type stuff... this stuff is usually inaccurate, and will also "round-out" very easily. Paying top dollar for good tools will save you money in the long run, as well as save time and prevent headaches.

There was some other bolt I had taken off my car at one point, can't remember which right now, but I remember having the same problem - seemed that there was no perfect sized socket to fit the bolt head. The socket I finally chose to use worked, but fit more loosely than I would have liked. What's up with these Ford bolts? Lemme guess... there's some new bolt head size specification, and new tools are available at your local Ford dealer for many hundreds of dollars. Or maybe Ford just wants everyone to round off their bolts so that customers need to come back to the dealer to buy new grossly overpriced bolts.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciated. They probably aren't torqued down very hard anyways. I'll just wrench them off with my teeth I guess.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

CRAFTSMAN!!!!

lol

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I don't suppose you guys considered a 6.5 mm socket? Its not special, just not common. I would think that craftsman makes one, if not stop in and see the Snap-On guy sometime when you see his truck. If you need and end wrench, I would also guess they make them as well.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Maybe FORD is taking "half way measures" ;>)

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Morgan Bullard