What to do about rust?

Or at least what I think is rust.....under my vinyl top on my 73 Mach I, feels like all these tiny bubbles which I'm assuming is rust. I'm in the process right now of having the engine looked at to see if it can be resurrected again, but I'm wondering about the body itself. I've noticed a few rust spots on it, and the roof. The hood, on the underside, has a few spots, and there are a couple of spots like around the lower corners of the fender and the door. I'm sure this is a sign of more rust, but don't know to what extent the whole car might be "eat up" with rust. Also, what are my options to deal with this? I would to have the whole body treated, "dipped" that eats all the rust off or whatever it is, but know I don't have near the money for that. I know I could consider simply replacing the fenders, hood, etc, but what about the roof? I'm not sure that I'd be able to replace all the parts at the same time though and wonder if that would be an issue. Also what about the frame, axles, etc, and rust? How can I know if I have a problem there?

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey

Brian,

Get it repaired properly now, or it will cost you triple a year down the road................

Bill S.

Brian Worthey wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

"Brian Worthey" wrote

It is.

I'm in the

Surface rust is not a problem. Sand it off and paint.

and there are a couple of spots like around the lower corners of the

It is.

but don't know

The doors have drain holes that fill up with dirt. Take off the interior panels and clean out the holes. The fenders are also supposed to drain, and their drain holes also get clogged. The only way to unclog the front fenders is to take them off. The rear fenders, there might be drain holes accessible from the trunk (I know that all Stangs through 1970 have 'em), and they might be clogged.

You can grind and patch small areas like these with Bondo, but that's a temporary fix and in a few years the rust will be back. The proper repair is to cut out all rusted metal and weld in new.

I would to have the whole body treated, "dipped"

That single treatment, plus paint, would cost more than a number one restored '73 would cost.

I know I could consider simply replacing the fenders, hood,

It's only an issue in that you need to get your top coat on new sheet metal ASAP. Replacing a panel and primering it and driving the car around while waiting to do the next panel, that new panel will start to rust.

Axles "etc" can't be degraded by rust. Mustangs have no frames, just boxed sheetmetal sections welded together. It IS possible but unlikely to have sufficient rust-through to compromise the platform. If your car is that far gone, it's ready for the crusher. It will cost you $20,000, easily, to bring back a car that far gone.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

"lots of good info snipped"

Thanks for all the information. I don't think my car is too far gone, at least I hope it isn't. When I get my scanner working I will have some pictures to post that I took just this weekend and might give others a better idea.

Thanks again.

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey

Brian,

Don't post your pictures directly to the newsgroup, as it is a text only discussion group. As for the car, perhaps you need to contact a local Mustang club and have a few of their members take a close look at it for you. Where are you located, I might be able to hook you up with a few people............

Bill S.

Brian Worthey wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

LOL...I thought about that after I posted it. I didn't mean post them directly to the newsgroup, but I realize that's what I said. I saw a thread somewhere where someone had down that and was quite chastised for doing so, so I learned from that.

I'm actually in Jackson, MS, but my car is still at my parents house in Nettleton, MS, which is close to Amory and Tupelo.

Thanks,

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey