What to use to clean mass air sensor? TIA

I think some of the oil from my K&N ahas gotten on the sensor nodes, what would i use to clean them with out hurting them.

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

Simon Juncal

I'm with Simon. CRC non-chlorinated electrical contact cleaner works great. And please consider getting rid of the K&N.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

at 13 Jul 2003, Sonicmonkey [ snipped-for-privacy@name.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to very gently clean the wires. I've heard electrical contact cleaner will also work well. I'm a bit weary about using anything else for fear that if some of it spills or remains, it'll end up in the air going to the engine. I heard brake cleaner works but I'm not sure what that would do to the engine.

No problems with discharge from my K&N so far.

Reply to
Paul

Brake cleaner is the same as contact cleaner ( except it's a bigger bottle for the same price!) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

at 14 Jul 2003, Stuart&Janet [ snipped-for-privacy@ALL.COM] wrote in news:1YHQa.804$ snipped-for-privacy@mantis.golden.net:

Ahh, I did not know that. Thank you for the info. Gonna need some of it shortly for when I do a pad replace anyway...

Reply to
Paul

Only if Ford begins spray painting filters. :)

I wish I could discover what it is about air filters that makes Mustang owners drool so much. They filter the crap out of the air, and that's it. OEM's are designed to deliver max. CFM with very acceptable flow rates, even when clogged. I'm FAR more concerned with gearing, transmission type and shifting style - things that make a difference in the real world.

And a little extra displacement never hurt either!

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

at 15 Jul 2003, JD Adams [ snipped-for-privacy@promedia.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The one on my 3.8 is not that big. And the paper one only has pleats about 3/4 of the way down from the top of the cone to the bootom of it. The K&N has them all the way from the top to the bottom. Next time I'm taking the air intake apart I'll have a very close look at the pipe and MAF to check for dust. If it's worse than it was with the paper filter, I will ditch the K&N and see if I can find a decent paper filter for her. I wonder if I can mount the 4.6 filter (I've seen them and they are huge) on my 3.8 intake as to get some more airflow. :-)

Reply to
Paul

That might be a worthwhile project. Maybe Tim (Mustangguy) can help out with that on a budget. I'd love to see the dyno test data from a 3.8 to 4.6 air filter swap.

Ahhh yes, another homebrew mod is born!!!

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

Actually, I have given thought to seeing if the modular air filter box would mount on my '89 LX. They look to be a much more efficient design than the stock ones on the 5.0L's.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE