What water pump?

'89 Mustang GT. Basically stock 5.0. Heads, intake and more planned for the future.

Any recommendations on what water pump to use? My stock pump is leaking and I'd like to be sure that I make a good choice of a replacement.

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

Browse one of the high performance warehouse pages. Summit seems to have a good variety of water pumps. Summit, Flow Kooler, Edelbrock, Weiand, Milodon, CSR, Moroso, Meziere. A few of the names make electric water pumps for pretty much drag racing only.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

I've seen a *lot* of street driven cars with performance enhanced engines still using the stock cooling system. Sounds like the old one could have lasted ~ 15 years, if it hasn't failed prior to this, which is not unheard of. Why not go back with stock? There are other areas, which you mentioned some, where you'll get a bigger bang for your money. Just my opinion, since I live on a budget.

Reply to
John

They do last a long time... The original water pump on my '68 I replaced only because I was putting in a new short block and there's no sense skimpingon $30 for a water pump. I still have the original Ford water pump, which worked fine when I took it off the original motor. The car never overheated on me.

Unless you have any good reason to go with a high flow water pump or anything fancy like electric I'd just get a stock replacement, or perhaps an aluminum pump ($70 or so) if you wanna save a little weight. Heck, aluminum dissipates heat better than iron, so it could help a little with cooling in theory.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I agree with those who say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Stay stock until you have the specifiec symptoms that tell you need more water flow.

If you KNOW your radiator is in tip top shape , you don't have a problem like a blown head gasket AND your car is running too hot at freeway speeds, THEN you need a high flow water pump. I wrestled with a hot running 260 in a Sunbeam Tiger for over a year. In the end, I knew everything was tip top and it still would run 230-240 at

75-80 mph. The faster I drove, the hotter it ran. Slow down to 60 and it would run 200 all day long.

I replaced the stock pump with an Edelbrock pump. The car now runs at 200 to 210 at speed. Problem solved.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

I have an Edelbrock water pump in my 1991 GT, and have found it to be a good quality pump. I liked it enough that I went with another of their pumps for a Chevy 350 I'm working on, and was pleased with the quality of that pump as well. So while it's not a "use this pump!" kind of endorsement, I can say that as a user of Edelbrock's water pumps I am satisfied and would buy them again. There's a definite quality difference between them and the factory pumps that was worth it to me.

The GT in question is my daily driver, which sees at least 60 miles a day of traffic driving to and from work. The cooling system is, admittedly, overbuilt but you can't budge it. Aside from the pump, I also have a four core radiator in the thing along with the standard compliment of nice hoses and whatnot. I've driven it in 5mph freeway traffic, through the Mojave desert, with the A/C blasting, when it was about 105 degrees outside. It still didn't budge. It reaches operating temperature, and there it stays. So if you're looking for something fairly stout, then that combination will surely do the job. I've been running that pump for quite a few years now, and it hasn't shown the least bit of willingness to give up.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man