whats the diff. between 93 5.0 engine and 95 5.0 engine?

i see the ads on ebay for 1987 thru 1993 5.0 shortblocks.. wont those work in a

1994 or 1995 5.0 mustang? if its a shortblock, whats the difference if im adding all my old accessories... please respond to email snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Reply to
XxJoSHiExX

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

None.

the main differences between the Fox and SN95 were the intake/throttle body, and accessory brackets.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

but if im using my accesory brackets and everything from the intake and up, couldnt i use any 5.0 block? im just having trouble finding a cheap block.. ill get all the aftermarket parts for a 95 mustang afterwards....

Reply to
XxJoSHiExX

......and 85 Mustang carbed 5.0's and all 86-92 Mustang 5.0's had forged pistons, the 93-95's had cast Hypereurectic pistons.

Reply to
winze

Just make sure its a roller cam block. IIRC they started around 85.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Don't forget that most '85 Mustang CFI/AOD cars didn't have the roller cam, and '86 5.0's had the pistons that are most likely to cause interference with valvetrain... perhaps not notched for valve relief or something.

JS

Reply to
JS
1987 thru 1992 5.0 Mustang shortblocks came with forged pistons while the 1993 thru 1995 came with Hyperutetic (I hope I spelled that right) pistons. I just recently bought a 1997 Explorer motor. I t has the hyperutetic pistons as well. Only problem is the cam has a different lift and duration. It is more of a truck cam (builds most of its torque at the lower rpms. To bring it up to 5.0 Mustang specs, I'll need to change the cam. Ultimately, even though there are some differences in these engines, the shortblocks will functionally interchange.

Steve B.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Steve Brooks

Somebody gave me a 5.0 from a 91 Grand Marquis, and I was thinking about converting it to a carburetor setup. I know its a different setup from the HO engines on Mustangs, but was guessing it was a difference in cams/heads. Can you offer any advise/information about doing this...before I start tearing into it?

Reply to
Mustang_66

Not sure if the pistons are cast or forged on the non-HO cars. I believe the difference between HO and non-HO engines were pretty minimal - 351W firing order cam, double roller timing chain, and perhaps the heads. For a carbureted car, none of this matters much - the computer won't get in the way. You can leave it as it is or swap out the cam for one with a 351W firing order. If you go with SEFI, you'll need to match the computer to the cam so that the injector firing order isn't trying to dump gas into the cylinder on the power stroke instead of the intake stroke.

Note that I'm also not sure if the non-HO engines came with a roller cam. I know as of '85 they didn't, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure.

JS

cams/heads.

Reply to
JS

These engines are certainly good candidates for making a good carbureted beater. The minimum requirements are using a distributor with a steel cam gear to match the steel roller cam in the 5.0 and installing a timing cover/fuel pump eccentric for a mech. pump. (or just go electric). You need early type valve covers too for the PCV system. The GM 5.0 may not have the good E7TE heads as found on the trucks and Mustangs and the cam is different. A 5.0 is just a 302 and you can do anything you want with it.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe