wheel locking up

re: 87 mustang

One of my front wheels is locking up under moderate braking. It's much more noticeable when the ground is wet. I've installed a rebuilt caliper on that wheel and its still acting the same. What would be the next thing to suspect?

Thanks

Reply to
brakes

Maybe the caliper on the other side is stuck and not doing any work so the locking side is trying to stop the whole car by itself and locking up. Or if not stuck, maybe so badly glazed that it's not doing much. Do you have the same identical brake pads on both side?

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Did you also replace the rubber hose? IF not, you should. Did you check the disc for run out? Also check and make sure the caliper moves easily in it's bracket. Was it easy to bleed? If not, the line could be blocked at the proportioning valve.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks for the responses... what size is the wrench I need to take off that brake hose, is it one of those s.a.e. ones? Also is there a copper washer on the non-caliper side like there is on the caliper side? It seems like its gonna be a knuckle crusher to take this off.

Reply to
brakes

Use flarenut or line wrenches whenever possible on hose fittings. The knuckles you save, and the fittings also, just may be your own. :-) On the non-caliper side of the hose is usually a clip holding the hose in place and a double flare connection to a hard line going back to the MC. No copper washer on that side AFAIK. I use both Metric and SAE flarenut wrenches to work on my 88' Bird and my 00'GT.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to