Wheel Size Question

Greetings...

I recently purchased a 2001 GT Convertible which is all stock. I want to put chrome rims on it. I want it to look sharp, but I also want the most performance out of them. My local tire dealer told me 20*8 in the rear with 18*8 in the front. I am eventually going to drop a supercharger in it and upgrade to 13" brakes. What are your opinions ?

Reply to
Mike

I put 18X9's all around mine, but I put wider tires on the rear. When I buy new tires, I will get them all the same width. My reason for this is that tires last longer when rotated. You cannot rotate with different sizes on each end. Amazingly, it was my front tires that needed to be replaced before my rear tires. On a cross country trip my alignment went haywire and wore out the inner tread on the front tires. I had to order replacements from Tire Rack and have them delivered and then mounted. Thw whole thing was a HUGE pain in the butt.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Unless you're spinning the rears all the time, the fronts will almost always wear quicker. In addition to having more weight on them, the fronts have to deal with lateral wear and scrub (not to mention alignment issues). If I didn't rotate the tires on the truck, the fronts would be gone in 15k.

"SVTKate" wrote in news:rXY1d.2444$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe

Stay far away from 20s on a Stang. If you dont lower it, and stick 20s on they'll JUST fit. But then you're looking at maybe 20 or 30series tires, and on top of that you have to watch out for EVERY small bump or minor pothole.

18x9 all around is perfect, and you can go with 275/35 (or 275/40, dont remember) all around as well. Perfect for rotations, good looks, and good grip. 8" is too small. Even the Cobras come with 17x9 :) Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

"Gagan (mwarrior)" wrote

I'm running 295/50's on the rear of mine. But mine is a '69. :)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I meant all around :) in the back i've seen people be able to run 305s or even as wide as a 315 :-| Fronts though anything wider than 275 will start rubbing. I'll take that 69 off your hands though ;)

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

I think about the biggest you could run on all 4 corners for a '69-'70 is

245 and you'd have to roll the fender lips. Until I bought this car with the 295's already in place I'd never seen anything that wide on a passenger car, at least that still fit inside the wheel well. I've seen plenty of Crapmaro's with no wheelwells (almost) running 255's and they stick WAY out of the well and look ridiculous.

As for the '69. If you've got about $25K, it's yours. :)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

I've got quite large rear tires on my Mustang (72 Mach 1).

See the pix at :

285's in the back, 225's up front.

Jay

Reply to