Wheel touch up paint?

anyone know how i can find out what color i need, to repaint a wheel that got the paint scraped off the edge while installing a new tire on the rim? they used plastic rim guards, but it must have slipped. the wheel weights left a void also. i need to know where to find the code for the paint color for my 2000 mustang GT 17 inch wheels. or can you just go to a ford dealer and have them figure it out?

Reply to
joe

What I found is that there are a few companies on the web you can order color matched wheel paint from. It seemed too much of a hassle so I just brought my wheel into the autoparts store, went over to the touch up paint rack and matched it up by eye to ford body-color silver. Worked great. I have '98 cobra wheels, but I doubt your's are the same color though.

Reply to
Brent P

i kind of figured i would have to pop the center cover off and take it in and try and match it. but i hate to go by the cap on a touch up tube. it would be nice to know a code.

Reply to
joe

I wasn't shy about it... I actually took the 2-3 that looked the best and put a bit of paint on the wheel... bought the best match.

This was when pep-boys had a huge rack of plasti-kote touch paints which are in glass bottles and not sealed, so it's no big deal. Now pep-boys has duplicolor, and I think they have seals.

Reply to
Brent P