wheels stud specs for `03 Stang? sloppy dealer mechanics

I just removed the wheels from my brand new `03 Stang for the first time. I found one lug nut that had been cross-threaded and stripped. Ford owes me a new lug nut, but of course if I ask for one, I'm sure they will say "how do we know that YOU didn't strip that nut?". So... instead of putting myself through the humiliation of having the service department get the last word again, I'll just buy a nut... but I can imagine what Ford wants for one... probably $5+ of something ridiculous.

My question... the stud... fortunately the nut took most of the damage and the stud still looks ok, but it does need to be cleaned up. I'd like to go get the correct sized dye so I can clean up the threads. Anyone know the SIZE of the stud? I know the thread pitch is 20, that's all. I forgot to measure the diameter. I need a new tap and dye set anyway since most of my old ones have been misplaced (stolen), but... just thought it would be helpful to know the exact size dye I need so that I'm sure to get a kit that includes it.

It's those damn pneumatic nut-drivers that are responsible for stripping lug nuts all the time, at least when in the hands of SLOPPY mechanics. Gee, if the mechanic would at least start the lug nut on the stud by hand FIRST to make sure it is threaded correctly, there would be no problem.... but these bozos just slam the nut against the stud with the air-tool, and just force it on... I think mechanic school should be way more strict. Any mechanic that ever displays a hint of carelessness or sloppiness should be blacklisted from the mechanic trade forever.

My other car came back from inspection at the dealer not too long ago with a cross-threaded lug nut... gee whiz... you can't have ANYONE touch your car, it's a damn shame... I had the dealer replace the stud and nut for free, but it was a waste of my time and a hassle. In the case with the new Stang, I do not want to bring the car back anymore or have anyone else touch it... enough of that. I'd rather buy the part and be done with it.

Oh yeah... and one more thing... I just had a part replaced under warrantee on the Stang (vert top link)... they forgot to attach a screw that holds the headliner on... this sharp screw was still stuck in the headliner strap just dangling around within the top workings just waiting to punch a hole in the top once the top would be lowered.... I'm glad I fully inspected the work before considering the job done, otherwise I probably would have gotten a puncture in my top... and I doubt the dealer would have taken responsibility. I repaired it myself, done. I hope and pray that this car does not need to go back to the dealer ever. Hopefully I can get 100,000 miles out of it without any failures... then I'll sell it before things start breaking. I don't think I have the patience to deal with sloppy careless people screwing around with my personal property, and then charging me an arm and a leg to boot.

Ummmm... sorry for the rant.... so... the wheel stud size anyone???

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

A new STUD, (a couple bucks at any tire dealer) would be many times cheaper and a better fix than buying a die...

I let very few people do anything to any of my vehicles and if I can't stand right there and watch the whole process they do nothing to my vehicles! Yes that includes new cars under warranty at the dealer.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Call the dealer, tell them your were rotating your tires (you were, right?) and noticed this. Ask them the best way to get the vehicle to them; it might be to put the wheel on but leave that nut off just to drive it there.

Under warranty, the dealer might just replace both the stud and the nut, which is better than cleaning up the nut.

Do not just take them the part and ask for a new one.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

That's a pain but how about this; The lock lug remover is made of soft steel. Generally, at a garage, it will sustain maybe 3 removals/put backs with an air wrench and then its malformed to the point where it won't work. The charge for a new one from Ford? $32.00.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

They even stopped providing those cheap little bottles of touch up paint a few years back.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127