When first oil change for '05?

My '05 mustang just hit 1,000 miles. I could have sworn the dealer said i could take it in there for a free oil change after 1,000 miles, but when i just called the service department, they said it's normal to do it after the first 3,000.

When should i actually get the oil changed?

Did anyone else get this free offer?

If so, was it for after 1,000 miles exactly?

If i wait until 3,000 miles, will i not get a free one because it was supposed to be after 1,000?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Bort
3,000 sounds about right. The vast majority of people out there do oil changes every 5,000 miles, the more stringent every 3,000. I'm sure the dealer meant you can bring it in anytime AFTER you hit 1,000. To do one only after 1,000 miles is just a waste of oil and way too cautious.

trotzo

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage "Mythbuster"

Bort wrote:

Reply to
trotzo

Ah, this is most likely what he said, thanks for the info.

Also, perhaps i mixed up that i wasn't supposed to take it on the highway until i hit 1,000 miles. That's true, correct?

Reply to
Bort

The first service, according to the book, is at 5000 miles. I had them change mine at about 1000. I'll get it changed again at the 5000 mile mark.

Reply to
John H.

For a new car, I always give it about 1000 miles on the factory fill for break in. After that (immediately after that) I fill it with Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the proper viscosity and a quality oil filter (no Fram, no STP, no Walmart/Napa/Valucraft/etc specials). Then I do changes every 5000 miles.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I'd have to disagree here. For the initial 1000 miles of break in, you wind up with an inordinate amount of metal filings/burrs/etc in the oil during the normal course of break in. Best not to let that crap clog up your filter or (worse) causing it to bypass and allow the cruft to circulate throughout the engine unchecked. 1000 miles gives some time for most of the garbage to be trapped by the filter at which point you can replace the oil with synthetic and enjoy the benefits of higher quality oil and 5000 mile oil change intervals.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Reply to
trotzo

AFAIK, new cars have a break-in performed at the factory. I recall seeing video of sn-95 mustangs on the production line and how each one went to what was kinda like a chassis dyno. They run the powertrain for the equivalent of like 200 miles or something with the odometer disconnected. I might be smoking crack here, so can anyone back this up (or blow it away)?

Ritz wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Harley puts their machines on a chassis "dyno" to do a quick systems check before going out the door. But it's not enough to break in the engine, only 1-2 minutes. I've never heard of Ford doing anything like that.

Reply to
.boB

Yes - new engine, change the oil at 1,000. In the case of my new lawn tractor, after the first five hours. (Probably because it's a high-performance one-cylinder engine pumping out 17.5HP. What a beast.)

dwight

Reply to
dwight

If it were my car, regardless of what they did at the factory, I'd do this.

Change it at 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000. A waste? Hardly. Oil cannot be "too clean" and it takes a number of changes to get all the miniscule metal particles out of the engine. I myself am skeptical about what is claimed to have been done at the factory. I wasn't there. I am there with the clean oil. I did this with my one and only new car, and it ran just as strongly after 125,000 hard miles as it did after it was broken in.

Wind it up (seriously) a few times while it's still new, on that fresh oil. You need to seat the rings, the valves, and spin everything nice and hard a few times while it's new. I'm not talking once / day, but I am talking about taking it close to redline up an on-ramp every now and then. It's not bad to do this. Any engine builder should agree that it actually helps.

Reply to
Wound Up

I concur with Ritz... and have heard many others say the same thing

Reply to
Wound Up

Ritz wrote in news:rzNNe.338$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga:

Hmmmm. seems to make sense

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

If the first is true then how can you do the second? Meaning, if there is a 'break-in' then you sure's hell better do what the rebuild shops say and not use synth until the engine is broken in! And THEY say about

8,000!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Wear is normal, a little wear is good, esp if tolerances are a little loose or tight. But from all I read and observe, factory tolerance today are simply MUCH better than even 20 years ago.

Engine build areas, I KNOW, are much cleaner.

Either do the FIRST oil change yourself so you can inspect the magnet on the drain plug for metal..

.. or do what the dealer says...BTW, he is NOT going to tell you if the plug comes out covered in shavings!

My guess is you will find few to NONE.. to make sure you do it right, have a dish of alcohol nearby to dip the drain plug in, all will be revealed.

- - -- -- - - -

BTW, you CAN be too anal. Every time you take your car to the shop, you chance the 'ran fine before i opened the hood syndrome'.

Meaning there's a small chance that a mistake can be made... like the folks who have used jiffy-lube and left a trail of engine oil for several blocks before their engine quit.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Okay.

Huh? What do those "rebuild shops" say? Point me towards a source. No reputable "rebuild shop" that I'm aware of would argue with my advice above. But hey, I'm open to new ideas. Educate me.

Wear is never good except to seat the rings. With modern materials, rings seat VERY quickly. I'm not sure I understand the rest of your statement. Are you suggesting wear is good with loose tolerances or tight tolerances? Or both? And yes, factory tolerances are SUBSTANTIALLY tighter than they were "years ago."

Eh?

I really don't follow. If the oil filter is doing it's job, you should have minimal shavings on a magnetic plug regardless. If you do, that's indicative of a problem.

Heh, if you say so.

Which is why I don't let anyone service my cars except me.

And this is relevant to the discusion because........???? If your mechanic is a bonehead, you've got larger problems looming than worrying about the break-in period for your engine.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Ritz

You should get one of those bilge blowers for it and supercharge it. :-P

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

SCrape!

Point being, if you didnt catch it, if there's gonna be any wear to cause shavings, metal dust then you dont want to use synth until the engine is broken in.

And engines are now built to CLOSER, not necessarily "tighter " tolerances.

I can see right now that you re a guy who takes a position and stays with it.. Never mind anything else.

And I particularly like your stance about only letting yourself under the hood, I feel the same way.. but the difference between you and me is sometimes I inadverdantly cause another problem. Which you dont, apparently.

So far be it for me to argue with the perfect mech.

You stay over there, I'll stay over here, with Warman.

Yeah... whatever!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Jeez.. all the poor guy wanted to know was if he should get his oil changed, not start a major revolution....lol

In my life's experience I've found many different points of view on oil changes, everybody always assumes their way is the right way. I have zero experience with new cars, I'd rather buy 'em after they depreciate a little, after all, how much do you lose just from driving them off the lot? I've had many awesome cars, some were lemons, some were not. Fortunately, I have the knowledge (and the tools) to keep 'em running. That's the chance I take every time I buy one second hand. But, I've found some great deals and (willingly) took on project cars. My latest project was an 87 Fiero GT. Whatta great car but a bitch to work on. 6 hours to change the alternator (damn mid engine cars) but a blast to drive.

trotzo

"Oh therapy can you please fill a void, am I retarded or am I just overjoyed?" - Green Day

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
trotzo

I side with Wound Up. New engines have lots of metals shavings floating around in the oil. I like my first oil change after only a couple hundred miles, then another after about 1,000-1,500 more. From there I gradually settle in to my normal oil change schedule.

Oil is cheap compared to an engine.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

There ya go. Wise words. Now, ol' WF would prolly say to put some Amsoil in and leave it until same time next year... lol!

Reply to
Joe

I dunno... I used to buy into the Jiffy Lube 3500 number, but then I decided, well, the folks who designed and built the damn car say 5000, so I think I'll go with that. :)

Reply to
Quiet Desperation