When first oil change for '05?

Quiet Desperation wrote in news:220820051921480064% snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com:

And the vast majority think Pennzoil and Quaker State is good oil, too.

Well, maybe THAT's why the 3000 miles.

I know I wouldnt be such a slacker if I only had them to use.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Been there, done that.

Reply to
ironrod

I'm not sure about today's engines, but there was a time when the initial fill from the factory (in GM cars at least) contained a special type of 'break in' oil. More likely it was an additive to the oil, regardless, I know that GM offered the additive as a specific part number to be used when certain internal engine repairs were made. Assuming that to still be the case you should follow the manufactures directions and change when specified in the owners manual. Using my own personal experience I would run dino oil for about 15,000 miles till everything gets seated, then switch to a good synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles, or annually whichever comes first.

I know most people will consider what I am saying as abusing the engine, but keep in mind that I have been doing this to my 17 year old 88GT since I bought it new, (252,000 miles and still running strong). I also successfully ran a rebuilt 78 Trans AM (T/A 6.6) for close to 150,000 miles this way before selling it to get the 'stang. Another thing you should consider, "The more often you mess with something, the more likely you are to mess it up.". Do the math, if you change your oil every 3000 miles by the time you get to 100,000 miles you would have turned that drain plug 33 times, Whereas I have driven 1.5 times that distance already and have only turned the same screw 25 times. The fact is, the fewer times you stick your head under the hood, the fewer opportunities you have to break it. I'm not trying to discourage you from working on your car when it's necessary, but remember, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply to
ironrod