When it rains it drips..

I've actually got two questions

#1: On my 99 'vert, the driver's and passenger's side windows leak a little where the upper gasket pieces meet on the convertable top. It gets me right in the arm when driving and can be a little irritating. It seems to be heavier when I'm going slow or stopped in traffic. Not really present on the freeway. I can see where the gasket meets and that is where the leak is coming from.

Suggestions?

Also, the tires I've got now are 205/60/R15's and the wheels are stock. The tires are getting worn and will need replacement mid to early '06. I'd like to upgrade the wheels at that time. I really like the American Racing Torque Thrust II's. I had them on my '76 Aspen. I was thinking something in the

16-17" range? 15" is too small, and 18" is too big. Is there any reason besides cost to go one way or another (16" vs 17"). Also, what width wheel, what backspacing, and what size tires to run? I'll need all-seasons. I would describe my driving style as "mild to spirited", and this car probably won't ever see the track.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but if you're going to have a drip, trust me it could be worse, just ask Dwight...

Reply to
WindsorFox

Reply to
Cobra Boy

Thanks, CB. Any reason to choose 16" or 17"?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Go with a 17" Stock width is 225 so look at stock Mustangs, see if it looks good to you. As you get out to 275 width, they start to "follow" any grooves in the road. I recommend the BFG G-Force KDWS tires for wet or dry roads.

Reply to
Gill

I think the reccomendation I got from Tirerack was 245/45R17. How much ride quality will I loose at 245/45/17 vs my 205/60/15? Also, I don't understand how 275's would "follow" the road? I had 33x12.5's on my Jeep and never had a problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Don't drive you convertible in the rain?

Ask your local tire shop for some prices, I think you will fine the 17 inchers offer fewer choices at a higher price...

Reply to
351CJ

Sorry, I was thinking about my old 86 and the stock 225's Your right, the stock size IS 245. The 275's should be mounted on a 9" wide rim and the tread print is about an inch or so wider than the 245's It doesn't seem like a big difference, but I can feel it pulling left and right on rutted roads.

Reply to
Gill

A reference to the Princessmobile?

That little '88 LX put me in an embarrassing situation. At highway speeds, the rain would get in under the roof, travel across the top of the windshield, and drip directly into my crotch. That's yet ANOTHER reason that I always carry a few Bounty paper towels with me everywhere I go ("Hitchhiker's Guide", and all that, but a habit I picked up when my kids were very young.)

My current '93 GT convertible hasn't dripped once, but I admit that I don't drive it in the rain all that much. In fact, it's resting in the garage right now, waiting for a nice sunny day with no snow melt.

Now, TFrog ('93 LX hatch) has some rotten weatherstripping, for sure. If I take it through a car wash, when we get to the machines that spray the sides of the car, I always get a mini-shower through the top of the driver's window.

But that's my fault. One day, I'll actually get around to having the weatherstripping replaced on both doors and the hatch. It is, after all, 12 years old...

:()

Reply to
dwight

I have 275's on my Cobra and I don't think it's bad at all. Then again, the roads are pretty good here but still...

I'd go with 17". looks better to me. I'd go 18" even if clearance wasn't an issue.

Reply to
RT

A story that I shall remember for a lifetime :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox

I used a big 'ol glob of silicon grease right between the weather stripping where the roof meets the "A" pillar, also works for leaks between the weather stripping on the roof sections.

Reply to
Ironrod

I guess I didn't describe it well... the leak is where the side window meets the top. I wouldn't want the grease on my window, but it is a good idea if it starts to leak at the windshield.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Is it coming from seam between where the rubber on the roof meets the rubber on the windshield pillar or is it coming from the back side window. If its the back window, look for signs that the rear weather stripping hasn't been pealed back by the movement of the rear window.

Reply to
Ironrod