Where is the fuel pump control module on an 03?

Is it somewhere in the car or above the fuel tank?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Are you talking about the FPDM (fuel pump driver module)?. It's in the trunk, behind the driver's side trim panel.

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible With Some Stuff and Things
Reply to
Dan

Are you talking about the FPDM (fuel pump driver module)?. It's in the trunk, behind the driver's side trim panel.

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible With Some Stuff and Things

Yes. Thanks, I was about to drop the tank looking for it:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Here's a picture of a BAP install with the FPDM in the view :).

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible With Some Stuff and Things
Reply to
Dan

Here's a picture of a BAP install with the FPDM in the view :).

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible

Dan,

Thanks. I owe you one. Any hints on the least destructive way to get at it.

My 03 is about to drive me nuts. Started it, it ran for about 15 seconds and died. So dumb me pushed it out of the garage, thinking I could get at stuff easier. Would not start do I decided to see if the "bump switch" in the trunk opened. Went in and got a meter, opened the trunk and could not find a decent ground, or a way to read the meter and turn on the key at the same time. So I left it and went to get some wire. When I returned, just for grins I tried it. It started right up, ran for about 20 seconds and died. It was then I remembered I unplugged the bump switch. So I plugged it back in. No start. The next day it started again, ran about 10 seconds and died. No codes stored. No fuel pressure. Need to start somewhere. Chased my tail thinking it was a PATs key problem. As far as I can tell it's not. I have a

2000 Contour and I had a plain key made for it. No crank without the PATs key. No idea what the Mustang would do if it lost the PATs key, but someone told me it would set a code if it didn't recognize the key??

There is more to this story, like the dealer installed some crap alarm system that I thought might have something to do with it. It don't, but took a while to figure out with no wiring diagram.

New cars are sure fun. NOT!

My 02 Z28 quit just before this. Got it going and washed it. Decided to back the Mustang out of the garage and wash it while I had all the stuff out. Wouldn't you know it was jealous? Had to show me it could die too:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Check the FRPS (fuel rail pressure sensor). It's a square thingy on the very front of the driver's side fuel rail. Pull the vaccuum hose going to it and smell the hose. If you smell gas that sensor has popped it's diaphragm. The engine behaves just like you describe when it goes bad and those are a common failure. So common that I carry spare in my trunk :). They are only about $50.

As for the FPDM, you just need to pull the rear, front, and side interior trunk panel. The FPDM is a black cube you can't miss, sort of right in the middle of everything. It's just bolted to some light metal framework.