Whine coming from Transmission or Torque Converter

I have a 91 5.0 LX with approximately 118,000 miles, automatic transmission. My problem is there is a whining noise coming from the general area of the transmission or torque converter. I noticed it about 2 months ago. At first I thought it was a bad serpentine belt pulley. It started out in low gear, and seemed to go away as the RPMs rose. Now it's really noticeable. So today I lifted the hood and listened for the sound from the passenger side of the car and sure enough the sound seemed to emanate from the lower engine area. I checked the transmission fluid, and I couldn't really tell if it was low. Has anyone else experienced this? I know it's hard to diagnose problems via a email or newsgroup, but any information is appreciated.

Thomas

Reply to
sariwa1