Why doesn't Ford one-up the Vette?

Ahhh... it has been a long time since I had a reason to plug this web site:

It lists every type of mullet known to mankind.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Here is the one specific to the Camaro owners:

Michael Johnson, PE

Yep, but gas mileage isn't even in the equation if you go with a big block. It's all about gut-wrenching torque! Knowing you can smoke the tires and make them bark in EVERY gear!

Reply to
John

Which roughly translates to Big AND Dead.....right? :-)

Reply to
Keith Warren

You can get the same feeling, and more, from a small displacement engine with a twin screw blower. My little ol' 302 with a KB blower pumps out

460+ ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels at just 2,500 rpm. ;)
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yup, forced induction will turn a V6 or V8 into a real stump puller. Making ponies the "old fashioned way" strikes me as being mostly a waste of fuel when you can get the same results from an inherently more fuel efficient smaller engine. But like I said, if you're a collector or drag racer, chances are that fuel economy isn't one of your priorities. For the rest of us, it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Just another datapoint....

My 2.7L twin turbo A6 will soon be putting out about 440hp and about

420ft/lbs of torque. And that's in daily driver trim and will get about 21mpg on average....all from an engine with "only" about 170 cubic inches. There aren't too many big blocks out there in street/daily-driver trim that could keep up with this "family sedan" on the track or the strip.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

You think the new Vette is going to get single-digit gas mileage?

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Aint gonna happen. The Mustang is a nice looking car. At $3.00 per gallon for fuel, few will spring for a gobbling 427. (I had a 68 Cobra. That f''''er yielded 4-8 miles per gallon) Ford isn't going to slit their other wrist by going this way. They are into deep caca as it is.

The Corvette is a highly refined vehicle. Desired by the moderately wealthy. Ford is not even on the same street.

Reply to
<HLS

It's anyone's guess. We'll find out if/when it actually becomes available for purchase.

Reply to
Ritz

Excellent! Those kind of numbers definitely put a substantial adrenalin button between the gas pedal and the floorboard. I know exactly how it feels!

Reply to
John

You don't have to have any level of wealth to "desire" a Corvette. Hell going a couple of years old used you don't even have to be Upper Middle Class in order to own one. I know plenty of Active Duty Military members (who in no way shape or form can be considered anything other then employed) who own Corvettes. Hell I have two and am a lowly public servant.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

The moderately wealthy dont buy used cars. They buy new Lexus, Jaguar, Cadillac, Corvette, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Poor bastards like me buy their used castoffs.

And they dont buy Mustangs, except for their college bound kids.

The really wealthy may buy something else.

Reply to
<HLS

You people are living in the dark ages. Even big blocks get reasonable gas mileage now provided they aren't paired to a 7000lb SUV.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

And... (I believe this should still be true, but haven't checked) one can pick up vettes a few years used in near perfect, near showroom condition for about 20-30 grand. For some reason it seems there are these vette owners who rarely drive them, who keep them garaged and perfect, that need to upgrade every few years to the newest vette.

There really isn't really anything amazing about being able to own a vette.

Reply to
Brent P