Why remove air silencer?

I've noticed a lot of people remove the air silencer. Does this do anything else than create more/different noise? Doesn't that silencer serve another purpose?

Tia.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

The only thing that the air silencer removal does is allow more air to the filter. The purpose of the air silencer is to suck air from the fender well (cooler) but the general consensus is it does restrict air flow. A good analogy that someone else posted is pucker your lips and suck air into your lungs, then open your mouth as wide as you can and suck air again. Which is easier?

As far as actually adding HP, you'd only find out on a dyno test.

Reply to
Greg B.

Hm, okay, thanks. :-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

A few years back one of the Stang rags did just that. On the SN95 car they acutally lost power. They figured it was from allowing more hot air into the engine, and the fact the 4.6 is smaller than a 5.0 so it was less of a restriction. If you look at the SN95 style they are no where the restriction that the fox style was.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

What you're not thinking about is turbulence. The engine compartment is so stuffed and non aerodynamic that hot air is going to be swirling all over the place. The two biggest air holes are at the radiator and the bottom of the car. The bottom hole is pulling air down first and then letting it out towards the rear of the compartment. Air coming through the radiator is blasting at the front of the engine swirling to the sides. So removing the silencer could easily force warmer air in there. The SN95's silencer starts right inside the engine compartment in an area I could easily imagine would get plenty of warm "eddies". I'd also say there's probably a reason why they bothered adding that rubber air silencer and routing it down into the fender, while extending the whole air cleaner assembly all the way to the front corner of the car. I'd wager it's not because they wanted to add more rubber parts to the car

-- however inexpensive -- that contributes to the overall cost of manufacture. If there was negligible reason to do that then they'd still be using the old style easy to change round filters with no ducting at all.

Without actually renting some wind tunnel time and doing some tests, I'd guess that the front corners of the car get more hot air flow than anywhere else in the engine compartment except right above and behind the engine towards the cowl. So the only reason I can imagine for them to duct the air intake all the way over there is so they could stick the inlet down into the fender at the front of the car.

I've never seen anyone back the "remove air silencer" mod with actual numbers for an SN95. If someone has dyno numbers that prove it's worth doing I'll yank that sucker right off.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I took mine off, didn't notice anything other than a change in the sound of the car that I didn't like. Put it back on and called it a day.

Kate

| > HELMUT RONER wrote: | > >>From: "MadDAWG" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | > >>Date: 7/25/2003 12:54 PM Eastern Standard Time | > >

| > > What they DIDN'T think about was when the car is in movement on the road | at | > > cruising speed or the highway the heat is being drawn out from under the | car | > > and, if equipped with an aftermarket hood, out through the cowl/vents. | So that | > > hot air is not coming from the engine bay with or without the silencer. | >

| > What you're not thinking about is turbulence. The engine compartment is | > so stuffed and non aerodynamic that hot air is going to be swirling all | > over the place. The two biggest air holes are at the radiator and the | > bottom of the car. The bottom hole is pulling air down first and then | > letting it out towards the rear of the compartment. Air coming through | > the radiator is blasting at the front of the engine swirling to the | > sides. So removing the silencer could easily force warmer air in there. | > The SN95's silencer starts right inside the engine compartment in an | > area I could easily imagine would get plenty of warm "eddies". I'd also | > say there's probably a reason why they bothered adding that rubber air | > silencer and routing it down into the fender, while extending the whole | > air cleaner assembly all the way to the front corner of the car. I'd | > wager it's not because they wanted to add more rubber parts to the car | > -- however inexpensive -- that contributes to the overall cost of | > manufacture. If there was negligible reason to do that then they'd still | > be using the old style easy to change round filters with no ducting at | all. | >

| > Without actually renting some wind tunnel time and doing some tests, I'd | > guess that the front corners of the car get more hot air flow than | > anywhere else in the engine compartment except right above and behind | > the engine towards the cowl. So the only reason I can imagine for them | > to duct the air intake all the way over there is so they could stick the | > inlet down into the fender at the front of the car. | >

| > I've never seen anyone back the "remove air silencer" mod with actual | > numbers for an SN95. If someone has dyno numbers that prove it's worth | > doing I'll yank that sucker right off. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Nope, the hot air from under the hood can and will affect performance. JD had an article where 3 dyno proven rwhp were lost when the tube was removed IIRC from a '99 GT. Cool air is more dense which means more oxygen, that combined with more fuel produces more hp. This is one of the reasons they sell cold air kits which move the filter into the fender.

Reply to
Michael Bolden-King

Not sure about the SN95 Stangs, but on my old 86 GT, I removed the silencer and the air intake is still in the fender well either way!

Steve

an article where 3 dyno

is more dense which means

reasons they sell cold air