Z Max Any good? i saw carroll Shelby endorsing it on TV

Anyone seen the ad? Its supposed to improve engine performance.Has anyone used it??

Andrew

Reply to
me

Johnny K

I have hated BP since they were Sohio and Standard... Amoco is a recent acquisition.

They used to advertise "No fuel line freeze-up Guaranteed>"

Yet the ONLY times (2) my fuel line EVER froze was right after a fill at their stations...(tho I normally bought MArathon brands) but of course you had to use Premium to get the guarantee.

Ive had several cars (and a few friends experience the same) that were rated for regular... run fine on regular -EXCEPT BP- there you needed premium.

Took 2 years to convince my wife, that her gas probs with E150 351W was the brand, not the car. Opening a local Speedway fixed that. Before that she ran Premium because the van ran like shit on BP reg.

BTW, I have spoken to a few guys (early 80's) in UK that say the same.

They may be OKay now... but like Quaker State and Pennzoil, I will never be a regular user because of their sins in the past.

Grim Jack opined in news:jUT2b.4218$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I can understand that reasoning. I've only started using them, because all the Amocos I was going to either closed or became BPs. Then I saw they were selling Amoco fuel and the two had merged. No problems yet. The sandwhiches in these new BPs are pretty good too. :-)

Any idea who makes the gas at Sam's? Started using that a while back as well, especially since I now drive 120 miles round trip for work and need to gas up several times a week. The savings starts to add up. I was concerned at first, but haven't noticed any problems running it, seems to perform like the other fuels I use when I'm not near Sam's (mostly Amoco, Mobil, or Chevron.

Mike

99 Limited Edition 35th Anniversary GT #4463
"The Lube That Lasts!"
Reply to
Michael

The way gasoline is shipped via pipeline makes it such that every station gets the same stuff prior to putting in their brand's additives. The additives added at the depot after the gasoline arrives there and as/before it's put in the tanker are the only slim differences between brands these days.

Reply to
Brent P

at 27 Aug 2003, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:Gj73b.210526$cF.67958@rwcrnsc53:

True. Not sure who makes Sam's gas but it does seem better than the brand sold at Super Wal-Mart (Murphy USA) as that one does appear to give us worse gas/mileage. About 10-15 miles on a full tank in my wife's Geo. Which she uses for commuting 50 miles a day. Our vehicles seem to get the best mileage using Citgo and Chevron. My Mustang likes

78 but mileage is a little less with that. None of the vehicles like racetrack. gas/mileage really goes down (15-20 miles in said Geo) with brand. Must be the additive package...

And yeah, I've seen a Citgo truck delivering gas to a Speedway station. Kinda had me wondering what was in that tanker. :-)

Reply to
Paul

THAT is TRUE!

I have a friend that works at a larger Fuel Depot in NJ. It's actually directly across the Hudson River in NY where that Fuel barge blew up a couple months back. The camera that took the footage of the initial explosion was mounted in my friend's shop at the depot.

Anyways.... what you stated above is exactly what he says happens to our Gasoline supply.

I used to be of the belief that larger gasoline companies would sell off their "Bottom of the barrel" crap to the Off Brand companies. After talking with my friend, I have NO problem going to an Off Brand station nowadays.

The BIG thing to consider when purchasing Gasoline for your vehicles is OCTANE ratings! This has GOT to be one of the BIGGEST marketing successes in modern history! The majority of folks that buy 93 Super Unleaded have ABSOLUTELY NO need for the extra Octane!

Folks are lead to believe that the extra Octane Will ensure a better running vehicle. You should only run as high an Octane to PREVENT Detonation! Using higher Octane than that will (over time) cause engine problems.

Higher Octane fuel burns SLOWER/COOLER (Less volatile) than Lower Octane fuels. Higher Octane fuel WILL leave carbon deposits if it's NOT burned off completely.

The ONLY way Higher Octane fuel helps is if the engines Timing is set to take advantage of the decrease in detonation. Knock sensors also help to reduce detonation.

Again. Only use an Octane high enough to PREVENT DETONATION! Anything higher and your only lining the pockets of Oil Company Fat Cats. :>(

Here's the FAQs for Gasoline that PROVES these facts in detail.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Eng> > I can understand that reasoning. I've only started using them, because all

Reply to
Katmandu

A while back (several years) Consumer Reports sampled gas from all over the country. They looked at a lots of samples and determined the best gas was from either Mobil or Shell. I wish I had saved that article. All I remember is that Mobil and Shell were the best, so I always try to use them.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Just because it's shipped by pipeline doesn't mean they can't ship more then one product.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

That's not how it works. For reference see the history channel program on it. Company A puts say 10000 gallons of 87 octane in one end, they get 10000 gallons of 87 octane out the other end, but it usually isn't the same 10000 gallons. It is far too expensive to put separators and keep everyone's product separate in the pipeline so that's how it works.

Reply to
Brent P

How do they ship 87, 89, and 91 if they can't separating them? SOme of these pipelines are only 8 inch diameter. Separating product would be trivial in those.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

If I remember correctly there is just a small mixing zone of product. I forget what they do with it, I think it just goes to the lower octane. It's been awhile since I saw the program. I think it was an episode of "hands on history".

The cost is in putting the 'hogs' or whatever they are called in to keep things separate.

Reply to
Brent P

Mike King