'00 Altima RPMs Too High?

I have a 2000 Atlima, automatic transmission, 165k miles. Here's what the car is doing: it seems as though the RPMs are too high (?) because the car often sounds like we have our foot on the gas lightly, but constantly, during idle.

But, the bigger problem (to me) is that when we reach speeds of 60+mph the car sounds like it should be shifting into a higher gear, although it's already in 5th. At 60 mph, we are at 2500 RPMs, and over 3000 RPMs by the time we get to 70. This is during a constant driving, not just accelerating.

I am terrified to go over 65 mph on the interstate because the engine sounds like it's going to whir right out of the hood. Thoughts?

Reply to
snh0621

What is the tach reading at idle? My 99 service manual says 700 +/- 50 rpm.

Sounds like it's turning about the same speed as mine, maybe slightly faster, but mine has the manual trans. Maybe yours isn't shifting into overdrive. Have you tried putting the gear selector in D or 3 and see if it revs the same?

Reply to
JM

I've seen the trans temp senders fail and keep it from shifting into OD.

Reply to
JimV