01 NISSAN SENTRA CAM POSITION SENSOR LOCATION

I need to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor on my 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8L engine. Can anyone tell me where is this sensor located? Thank you.

Reply to
armando7195

Unless Nissan has changed their design drastically from the 1999 Sentras, the CamPS is an integral part of the distributor. On the 1999, the distributor is driven directly by the camshaft. I had to replace mine with a new one because of two problems:

The distributor timing is an electronic sensor of the rotor position via a metal disk with many small slots and a photosensor. In mine, the seal between the distributor shaft was worned out, allowing oil from the cam area to seep through and coated this disk, thus making it unable to send correct rotor position. The engine started to misfire and eventually it wouldn't run at all. If you let the oil to drip down for an hour or so, the engine would start up again, but in about 10-15 minutes, the same problem will return. Cleaning this disk with a carb cleaner would make it work and run for many more miles until the oil started to do the same thing. Sometimes after that I started to get code for bad CamPS. Bought a NEW and complete distributor from eBay for $150. That did the trick.

Reply to
cmdrdata

download the 2001 fsm from

in the file ec.pdf on page ec-356 you will find a picture of its location (its under the engine near the starter,according to the pics)

Reply to
LouieG

CD

Reply to
codifus

CD

Reply to
codifus

Except that I own a 2000 Sentra... for which there is no file :(

Reply to
H. Brown

should be the same as 2001, both are B15 Sentras....as the 1994 file is very much the same as the the 1992 and 1993 sentra SE-R I currently own. The B15's ran from 2000 to 2006 (i think) My B13 ran from 1991 thru 1994.

Reply to
LouieG

OOPS, my bad...thanks for pointing that out. Thank Frederick (also a poster in this newsgroup) for thee FSM link.

Reply to
LouieG

Okay, I got my answer just a few posts farther down the thread. :D

Reply to
DemoDisk