01 Sentra Spark Plug Gap

I have acquired a 2001 Sentra 1.8L DOHC EFI and don't have the owners manual. Could someone please tell me what the spark plug gap setting should be?

The car has a miss and I am starting with the plugs. Hopefully that will solve the problem

Thanks

Reply to
Alan McLeod

I have it...

Type: Platinum-Tipped Type: Hot: PLFR4A-11 * Standard: PLFR5A-11 * Cold: PLFR6A-11 *

  • Always check with the (Nissan Parts Department) for the latest... Gap: 0.043 in / 1.1 mm

hth...-Pete

Reply to
Pete

Does that motor have individual coils on the plugs ? ]

Reply to
Bob

yes

Reply to
NissTech

Yes.

Reply to
Pete

Then to the OP: Change the pulgs, when that doesn't fix it, start checking the individual coils.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Alan McLeod

Reply to
Alan McLeod

Not necessarily. If the coil is intermittent, the car will run rougher when you pull the leads to that coil since it is firing _some_ of the time. Reverse logic is needed to find it.

Try this test: pull one coil. You'll notice that the car runs rougher. Listen to see if the original miss is there along with the new miss i.e. it will probably be running extremely rough since you have two misses - the original and the (now disconnected) pulled coil. Put that coil back and try the next, and so on. If it is a coil problem, there is one that you will pull that will not cause the car to run quite as rough since by removing it you will only have one miss, not two. Test several times and you should be able to find the coil that is causing the problem - if it's a coil.

Don't keep them out for too long since you are dumping raw gas through the engine... also, I have no idea what this does to the control module. I've tested this way before and found bad coils but I can't say that it's a good idea :-) You should have the engine good an hot before testing.

How many miles on this car ?

Reply to
Bob

Thanks, I'll give this a try.