'02 Altima- Switch to Synthetic?

It's a 2.5L auto with 45,000km. I'm thinking about switching since I do a lot of highway driving and I'd like to avoid doing an oil change every five weeks. Are there any disadvantages to switching? And if I do, roughly how many k's should I go between changes, with an 80/20 highway/city ratio?

Thanks!

-e

Reply to
Urnest

This subject is open to a LOT of speculation.

Opinions on this subject are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

From what I have read and been told, the switch to synthetic should be done within the first 10,000 miles and never after 30,000.

If you have gone 45k km's then if it were me I would not switch, just stick with natural oil and pocket the savings or use it to cover the inflated gas prices

Reply to
NissTech

I don't think you'll have a problem switching and you should save some money. I switched my '99 Altima at 60K miles and have not had a problem. With highway miles I think it is better to have synthetic as you can go longer. As far as how many k's don't go over the recommended until the warranty on the powertrain runs out. I run mine to 7500 miles (you do the K to M conversion). I got my oil analyzed for TBN (base additive) and they said it could go 8,500 miles (oil was Mobil 1/lab was Blackstone in Indianapolis).

Reply to
Tim C.

Reply to
ESmith