02 Sentra GXE oil drain plug: standard or left-handed threads

As the subject asks: is the oil drain plug for a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE (QG18DE engine) a "normal" thread plug (where a counter-clockwise turn will loosen it as most bolts work) or a left-handed thread plug (where it must actually be turned clockwise to loosen it)?

I'm assuming that it's a normal plug, but am asking just to be sure so that I do not make a mistake and snap off the drain plug.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

A LT thread on a sump plug would be diabolical. Not even the French would try such a thing.

Using a truly hexagonal socket (with only 6 flats instead of the usual 12) will ensure you don't round off the head of the plug if you need to use force. They're usually quite soft steel.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

use a 14mm 6 or 12 point box wrench or socket.

lefty loosie , righty tighty

Reply to
NissTech

I can't imagine a left hand thread drain plug. Having heard horror stories about the old Peugeots though, I wouldn't put it past the French. The old joke around the garage was that when the rest of the world went metric, the French would go Whitworth! A six point socket is a very good idea. Also, use a small box end wrench, no more than 5 or 6 inches long, or a similiarly short ratchet handle, when tightening the plug so as to preclude over-torqueing it and stripping the threads. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

on 10/11/2007 12:21 PM Daniel W. Rouse Jr. said the following:

The sizes may be different, but the turning is the same.

Reply to
willshak