07 Frontier Air Filter question

So, with gas prices the way they are, I looked at the air filter on my '07 Frontier XE. It looked a little dirty, so I thought I'd go and buy a new one. First, I went to an auto parts store. They didn't have them and couldn't find a part number.

I went to my local Nissan dealer, and they said they don't have them in stock, but would order some. I thought that was a little strange for a dealer to not have air filters for an '07 model.

I then went to another auto parts store and took a look at their manual for filters (air, oil, etc). It listed N/A for a Fram filter as well as STP for my model. But, they did have filters for an '07 with a 6 cyl.

What gives with this filter for the '07 XE?

Reply to
Doug

You could order one on line from

According to this web site the air filters have not changed since 2005 (same filters work for 2005-2008). Unless you filter was incredibly dirty, it is not going affect fuel economy by a measurable amount. Modern fuel injected engines are not affected by a dirty air filter like old carbureted engines were. A slightly more restrictive air filter is no different than a partially closed throttle.A dirty air filter can reduce maximum performance, but since you are looking for better gas mileage, I assume you are avoiding wide open throttle situations.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks Ed for saving me the $$! Mine it's that dirty yet.

But let me ask this. When you say, incredibly dirty, what do you mean exactly? Can't see any sunlight through it? Just trying to get an idea of what it would look like before replacing it. Doug

Reply to
Doug