$1200 later anf I'm confused... Timing Chain

So my mechanic pulled the head of my 97 4x4 kingcab pickup, and said he saw a broken timing chain guide. It would take a till next week to do the job.. so I took it to Nissan... yep $1200.00 ... there was a rattle coming from the engine, thats what alerted me. I took all the part home.. no broken guide, so I asked him what was the problem.... well the chain could have stretched or just come loose and it would only get worse and then it could break... goodbye charlie... So this bag of parts... they sure look fine to this non-mechanic... do you think I have a reason to doubt this repair ? Joel

Reply to
dwolf

Ouch - more of an $800 job. The guide unfortunately is the cheap yet critical part. There are rubber/metal aftermarket ones vice plastic ones. If it goes -- you have to take just as much apart to replace itas do the entire job with new chain. Chains las like 120k miles usually with normal freq oil changes.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
dwolf