170º or 180º replacement thermostat?

There are replacement thermostats in 170, 180, and 192 degrees. Which one is right for a 93 SentraXE with GA16DE engine & manual transmission?

Someone told me the engine will waste gas if you choose too cold a thermostat. Is there any harm (or benefit) using one 10º higher than called for? This isn't going to be fun to do so I want to make sure I use the best one.

TYVM again, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

Everything I've read agrees 170ºF as the original fitment on GA16DE engines.

Fan switch cut-in temperature is listed as 180-190ºF. If the fan cuts in often, this could negate any fuel savings achieved from running the engine a bit warmer.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Aha! Thanks, John

Reply to
DemoDisk

My '92 Sentra XE has two fans. One seems to run all the time, the other one never runs. I'm thinking maybe my coolant temp sensor is defective (per my "cold start" posts).

I believe one of my manuals insists the thermostat have something called a "jiggle valve" and it must have a certain orientation. The replacement thermo I ordered does not have this. I don't plan on replacing the thermo unless I have to after seeing how much work it is.

Reply to
Plague Boy

Does the one fan that runs all the time run with the A/C and defroster OFF (it will run continuously with either ON). I have seen many cars that virtually never run the fan and stay at proper temp. On some cars, that 'jiggle valve' is a critical air bleed that can cause bizarre problems if not installed correctly (or without one)

-Mike

Reply to
Mike