1984 CA20 too lean on restart

I have a 1984 Stanza. Sometimes when I drive half a mile to a store and come out a few minutes later, the engine has no torque when I let the clutch out. It doesn't run rough or stall, but I can't get underway. It has happened only a few times over a period of years. It may happen not when I first let the clutch out but when I'm pulling out of a parking lot into traffic.

It seems to happen when the temperature is 45-50F. Within a minute, the engine runs normally. I suspect it involves the EFI's switch from "cold engine" to "warm engine." While I'm in the store, the heat from the short drive spreads to the coolant, which warms the sensor when I come out and restart. In fact, the cylinder heads would be cool.

Maybe the problem is that with the fuel injectors still cool, the gasoline is too viscous for them to inject adequate quantities when the EFI computer says "warm" and I depress the accelerator.

Does that sound reasonable? Can I prevent it? If I still have summer-formula gas in my tank in winter, could that be a factor?

Reply to
J Burns