1986 Nissan Charging System

I have a 1996 Nissan 4x4 D21 Pickup and the charging system has suddenly quit working. It 'appears' that it has a separate voltage regulator from the alternator (and the alternator's a bear to get at from the top). Can anyone give me any pointers in identifying which one is causing the problem before I just start swapping parts? Checked and charged the battery completely after a hydrometer test showed it needed a re-charge (and it was about dead). Charging it for several hours has put a good charge back into it but upon starting it, the gauge indicates that it's not charging.

Thanks for any help,

John

Reply to
jcage

As old as it is I might guess that the brushes have finally worn down. You can check the alternators output. If it has some then the regulator will be at fault.

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete