1989 Nissan Sentra Electical system - Help, help, help!!! (please)

Hello,

I have a 1989 Sentra which continually blows alternators. I've had them professionally replaced via Nissan service center, third party certified technicians, and done it myself. In the 2.5 years I've owned the vehicle the alternator has been replaced 8 times. Everyone insists that it is the alternator that is the problem, but I'm starting to suspect there is something much more serious than just that. All the symptoms are classical to failing alternators, but could there be something else affecting it that somehow destroys the alternator?

All that said, my most recent problem MIGHT be a bit different. About

3 weeks ago I put in a remanufactured Titan alternator and it ran fine for the first 2 weeks and then the car started having the normal problems associated with the alternator (lights dimming, etc). So I pulled the alternator out and took it back where they tested it and naturally it tested fine. Took it back, reinstalled it, charged the battery (again) and it fired right up. Ran fine for the next week, but yesterday it had all the symptons of a failed alternator and lo and behold it died again. No amount of charging, etc will get it to run again. So apparently I'm back to square one and need to have it towed to the service center.

Obviously the whole ordeal is becoming a little annoying. Aside from this habitual electrical problem the car has been excellent so before I blow my top and do something drastic can anyone recommend anything? I've had it into a place that specializes in electrical systems twice, and both places could find nothing wrong aside from the alternator. Nissan service center was the same, as were the third party garages. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to the electrical system beyond the battery and the alternator.

In short I'm tired of piling money into the vehicle for the same exact problem over and over and over again. The towing, the labor, parts, etc all add up, and the car is totally unreliable in its condition.

Reply to
Cayn

If nissan replaced it with a -real- nissan alt you do have a weird problem. If everyone is using 3rd party alternators this sounds about right. Most don't last more than a couple of months from my experience.

Reply to
Steve

It sound like you have a wiring problem. Maybe when the car is running your car has a loose battery cable or alternator wire that somehow shorts out with driving vibrations. .

Reply to
Carlos Trevino