1991 Pathfinder manual transmission

I have a 1991 Pathfinder SE (5 speed, 4WD), which has a noise 5th gear in the transmission. It "whines" and the whine has been getting louder for probably the last

5 years (i first noticed it around 150K and its gradually gotten worse and now its fairly loud at 218K miles).

So. I'm just about sure this needs transmission work. Quoted

1500->2K by a shop that I trust to not over-quote (but not especially a transmission shop, just a guy who has worked on the car for the last few years near where I live. Does decent work.)

I'd be interested in the opinions of people who own Pathfinders with >

200K on them or close.

Do you think its' worth putting that kind of money into the vehicle?

History is that I'm the original owner (bought in Nov 8, 1990 with 8 miles on it from a dealer who is now gone...) Everything else on the car (except the trip odometers, which mysteriously stopped working about 3 weeks ago) works. No body damage, no rust.

What i'm wondering is: if i spend the bux on the car, am I likely to get 250K or more out of it? (that woudl be about 4 more years of usage at my rate).???

I'd love to know if there a lot of people who've gotten 250 or more out of their Pathfinders from around then...

The mechanic is actually a little worried about the engine going bad at some point (and at > 200K i can understand that), although both of us agree there's no sign of that now. (and yes, the exhaust studs were all replaced at about 140K. The clutch was done at 150K and the car is on its 3rd timing belt (which went in at around 185K). This vehicle was briefly *stolen* about a year ago (believe it or not) but recovered about 3 days later essentially undamaged. I've taught both my sons to drive stick in this vehicle too, and its been offroad not that much but a number of times.

I've actually *never* had a "down vehicle" situation with this car. The one accident it was in it was completely drivable afterward.

Reply to
joe.pistritto

Ahoy Joe I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder with 493,000 km on the odometer. Change the oil regularly and you can get 400 K out of a Nissan Pathfinder ... I use Castrol

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Stubble Jumper

Well i didnt do the transmission yet, but i did get the vehicle back and found out the weird rattling noise in the back was the *Sway Bar* which had become detached at one end... Also needed a replacement brake master cylinder.

But we're back on the road again and doing fine. Will probably do the transmission.

493K km huh? Now that's a lot of miles... -jcp-

Stubble Jumper wrote:

Reply to
joe.pistritto