1992 300zx vibration

Hi This is my first post.... I recently purchased a 1992 300zx TT. Great car but for the vibration at 40+ mph. The vibration is felt through the seat rather than the steering wheel and is at its worst from cold.

I've replaced the propshaft centre bearing and had the universal joints repaired. The prop has been balanced and the gerbox mount replaced.

It still vibrates, I've tried different wheels, no joy. I'm going to try 4 wheel alignment next but , assuming this doesn't work

does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
musicfast

Is it a fast (engine, transmission, driveshafts) or slow (wheel, tire, hubs, brake disks) vibration?

Is it a body vibration (as exhaust touching the body) or a powertrain (suspension) vibration?

From your description, assuming that the vibration is there only at 40 m.p.h, I assume it is a slow/suspension vibration.

Have you measured the run-out of the wheels, hubs, disks?

What about tires, have you checked them for flat spots or band separati> Hi This is my first post....

Reply to
AS

Someone told me I'd need deep pockets with this car!

The vibration is a fast vibration starting at 40 and disappearing at about 70

Steve T, before I replace the driveshaft , is there any chance it could be the transmission? The synchros have seen better days and gear selection (especially reverse) is an art!

Reply to
musicfast

It's the driveshaft.

The only -fix- is a new driveshaft from nissan. Almost every "repaired" driveshaft we've tried vibrated as bad or worse than they did before the repairs. These cars are ULTRA sensitive to a less than perfect driveshaft, I've even had new from nissan ones that weren't smooth and had to be re-replaced before the vibration was gone.

Reply to
Steve T

Yep! Just wait till the VTC's start leaking oil and the tensioners all need to be replaced..

That is what the driveshafts do. A tire will be a much slower vibration, about 1/3-1/4 the frequency of the driveshaft.

Nope. In 4th gear it's "straight through" i.e. the input shaft is coupled to the output shaft and I bet it does it in 4th and 5th gear.

Like I said about 80% of the reman driveshafts we have installed (at the customers request) have had a vibration and I've had 2 dealer shafts that were bad right out of the box! Also make SURE the thick spacer washers for the center support bearing are between the bearing support and the body. I've seen this mistake too.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks for the help , I'll start saving for a new propshaft!

Cheers

Reply to
musicfast