1992 Micra ECU error

Hi I have a 1992 Nissan Micro L 998cc On a 100 Mile journey it kept cutting out but never came to a complete stop the garage plugged in a code reader and said it was showing air sensor fault and a new ECU would be required at a cost of £550+VAT ,when ask if the sensor only could be replaced I was told no. while I know nothing about ECU as such I do know about electronics and this did not make sense to me I was also told that if I did salvage a sensor from another car it would not work as the code would have to be reset in the ECU and this can not be done without expensive equipment. can someone give me some guidance on this please

Thanks peter

Reply to
Pete