1992 Nissan Pickup Transmission Problems

I have a 1992 Nissan Pickup extended cab V-6 with 4WD. Over the past couple of months I have noticed a loud whine coming either from the transmission or the transfer case. It sounds like the front axle is spinning all though the truck is in 2WD and the front hubs are unlocked. Also, I cannot get into 2WD High or Low on the transfer case so I have to drive with the transfer case in neutral. The transfer case will allow me to get into 4WD high or low. I was wondering if this sounds like a transmission or a transfer case problem. And if it is possible to change one without changing the other as it looks like the transfer case is built right into the transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
wmckenna

Is this a US model? I have never seen a Nissan Pickup transfer case with a 2 lo setting. Also, the vehicle shouldn't move when the transfer case is in neutral. The t-case and trans are separate.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I made a couple of mistakes in my last post. First of all the pickup is a

1994 model and was bought in Canada. And there is not a 2 Lo setting. The transfer case will not let me go into 2 hi or 4 hi. When the transfer case is in nuetral the truck will move as long as the transmission is in gear.
Reply to
wmckenna

It should not move in neutral. It sounds like your transfer case requires repair.

Reply to
Rob Munach

So I can change the transfer case without changing the transmission. Your help is appreciated. To your knowledge are there many second hand transfer cases out there to buy.

Reply to
wmckenna

I don't know. But the t-case bolts to the back of the transmission. You may want to take it apart and maybe it can be re-built (if that is the problem)

-rm

Reply to
Rob Munach