1993 Maxima engine whine at idle speed

My 1993 Maxima just developed an engine whine at idle speed that goes away at higher rpm's. The timeing belt wwas replaced about 15k miles ago. I've read that the cause could be timing belt tension. Will incorrect tension cause more damage or can the noise be ignored until the next service?

Reply to
Goodad

it could be the timing belt but not likely, the whining noise would have been there from the get go and subsided as the belt stretched

chances are you have a bad idler pulley , I suggest taking the drive belts off one at a time and see if the noise goes away.

Reply to
NissTech

Good call!!

My son had the car on a long road trip today. Pulled into a local garage (usually a risky proposition) - they changed 3 belts and the noise was gone. Not cheap, but much better than re-doing the timing belt installation.

Thanks.

Reply to
Goodad