1995 Nissan Pickup VG30E Problems

I have a 1995 Nissan King Cab Pickup with a V6 (vg30e) engine/auto trans. I've had it since new and it's at 104,000 miles. It's been virtually trouble free until now. Upon start up, the idle is very rough below 1000 rpm. Sometimes a stinky, fuel type smell is present, although it just passed inspection. It's also stalling upon deceleration and sometimes just dies at stops. Starts right back up everytime. Then the problem goes away for awhile. It's back and not going away this time. Replaced fuel filter, PCV valve, and added B-12 gas treatment. Diagnosed the onboard computer and computer says everything is fine. Thought it may be the EGR valve, bought the part, then couldn't find it on the motor. It's not where the manual shows it should be, and I couldn't find anything on the motor that resembled the part I bought. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
StormTrooper

Check the throttle position sensor. If you need diagrams, I can send some scans from my Clymer manual.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Also seen the "hot wires sensor" in the TB do this kind of thing if it has TB type injection. I can't remember when they got away from that.

Reply to
Steve T

What would be the testing procedure, and the expected signal level from a functional Throttle Position Sensor for that model year?

Thank you.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check the TPS tonight. My Haynes manual refers to it as the Throttle and Idle Sensor (located on the throttle body). I'll also look at the manual to see if it tells me the code for a bad one using the on-board computer.

Reply to
StormTrooper

go out and wiggle the connector at the air flow meter and let me know what happens

Reply to
NissTech

I had a similar problem on my 94 Altima.. It stalled one morning pulling into work, which it had never done before and hasn't since, and when I went to drive home it kept stalling any time I'd come to a stop. Turned out the connector had fallen right off of the airflow sensor (ie the solder connections had let go). I repaired the connector and the problem went away. I was to blame for the failure because I had tried to remove and snapped off the two screws that appear to hold the connector in place a few months ago.

Reply to
JM

You may want to search through the Yahoo Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager group archives. These vans are VG30 powered, and this group is full of very knowledgeable people who know a lot about the VG30 engine. You may not be able to join th group and post a question as you don't own a Quest or Villager, but the old posts are available to the public for searches.

Good Luck

Carl

Reply to
carl

I went out and wiggled the connector at the air flow meter (right next to the airbox at the beginning of the TB) and she started idleing normal and ran much better. Does this mean a bad meter or shorted wires. Thanks...

Reply to
StormTrooper

I went out and wiggled the connector at the air flow meter (right next to the airbox at the beginning of the TB) and she started idleing normal and ran much better. Does this mean a bad meter or shorted wires. Thanks...

Reply to
StormTrooper

I think 89 was the last year of the TBI (aka VG30i) engine.

-Dave

Reply to
Bitter Dave

Could be either or just a bad connections. Buy some contact cleaner and spray both the connector and the MAS and then slide the connector on and off a few times and see what that does for you.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Have you checked out

to see if members there have had the same problem? It might be worth it to help ya...

Reply to
Bhuvan

First off, thanks to everyone who replied. It's great to have such a wealth of knowledge responding to this board.

It appears to have been the connection to the Air Flow Sensor. I messed around with it a bit and made sure the connection was good and the problem went away. It's been running fine for over a week now!

Reply to
StormTrooper