1996 Nissan Pickup

I dont see my initial post so i am reposting:

Hi, I have a question regarding my 96 pick up. When i start it up i often get a sound coming from underneath near the engine. It sounds like "metal pieces being shaken in a tin can". This lasts momentarily on start up but occasionally can repeat upon acceleration after coming to a stop. I thought perhaps the catylitic converter but sound seems closer to engine. Every time i stopped by my mechanic i couldnt replicate the sound to appear.

  • vehicle info:
1996 2wd pick up xtended cab, 4 cyl, auto, virtually all options, mileage is: 38,000 ORIGINAL MILES I am 2nd owner since 3/2000. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance....... Karl
Reply to
krn001

on 2/5/2008 3:19 AM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

I have a 97 pickup with ~60,000 miles. I have the same noise, a rattling tinny sound when I start up that sounds like a loose shield of some sort quiets after a second or two, and I am afraid that it may be the timing chain. I rarely go more than 10 miles on a trip, and I figure it's gonna break one day and I'll have to have it towed and spend big bucks to repair it. Post back if you find out it is something cheaper. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Heat shield above tha CAT? When it happened on my car the sound seemed like it was in the dash when it was really under the car all that time.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Codifus wrote in news:47aa4e2a$0$15182$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

I wonder about that "38K original miles" on a 1996 auto;a TEN+ YEAR old auto. Unless you knew the original owner,I'd suspect the odo had gone around once,was replaced or turned back. I'd have to see some credible documentation on the mileage,like factory service records,to believe it.

Call me a skeptic.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have owned my 97 pickup since new. All my exhaust pipe shields have long ago rusted and were pulled off. I had a cat-back Cherry Bomb dual exhaust installed a year or so ago at Meineke and I told the guy about the noise. He checked the whole exhaust system and welded a broken bracket in front of the cat, but that wasn't the cause of the noise. It is a sound like the metal shield over the exhaust manifold is loose and when starting, it vibrates and then quiets down when the engine is idling smoothly, but the exhaust shield is solidly attached.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Acura Integras have a double-walled "A" pipe to allow the catalytic to heat up faster,and an inner pipe weld would crack,and you'd get a buzz at around

3500 rpm. REALLY annoying.

perhaps yout auto has a similar double-walled pipe?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

on 2/7/2008 10:19 AM Jim Yanik said the following:

It's not a buzz, but a distinct rattle, and it appears to come from the engine compartment.

Reply to
willshak

Well i bought it in 2000 with 28k & have put 10k on it myself. I can assure you the odometer has not gone around or any tampering... the

38k IS original.
Reply to
krn001

If it appears to come from the engine compartment, can you localize the sound when popping up the hood and listening for it?

CD

Reply to
codifus