1997 Pathfinder: Can't get new alternator in place

Replacing the alternator on my 1997 Pathfinder. I got the old one out no problem. Now I'm trying to put the new one in, and I just can't get it in place. The lower bolt goes through two tabs on the alternator, one in front and one in back. Those two tabs have to fit around the mounting bracket on the vehicle, and I just can't get it. It seems like the tabs are too close together and they won't fit. But I measured it against the one I took out and it seems to be exactly the same size.

Any trick to doing this? I tried attaching the upper bolt first, hoping that would help me get it aligned, but it still didn't work. I've spent a couple hours on this by now. Is filing or grinding the tabs down a bit an option?

Thanks in advance, Jake.

Reply to
Jake

There is a sliding insert in the back mounting ear. It's there for slight differences in the spread of the mounting ears and allows the alt to be remounted easily. Use a hammer and gently push it out towards the rear. This should give the clearance to line up the alt and shove the bolt in. Tightening the bolt will slide that insert into snug position.

cselby

Try rounding the EDGES of the tabs just enough to remove any burrs and to make the alignment not so critical when you install it.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Thanks for the help, finally got it.

I thought there was something up with that little cylinder in the back mounting ear. Didn't realize I could adjust it. But before I read your advice I went to work with the dremmel, rounding off the corners of the alternator mounting tabs, the mounting bracket, and the insert. That's what got me there. I'll know for next time on the insert. Thanks again.

Reply to
Jake