1997 Pathfinder: DIY Water Pump?

Need some advice, folks. My 4WD Pathfinder needs some work. Alternator and water pump. I have done an alternator before, not too hard. Just take the old one off, bolt the new one on.

Is the water pump similar? The shop is quoting me $900 to do the pump, timing belt, front cam seal and front crank seals. It is really those seals that have me worried. That and the amount of labor this seems to involve (parts only amount to ~$200).

Is this something a DIYer can handle? Advice appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Jake

Jake wrote the following:

Replacing a water pump involves a lot more work than just removing 2 or

3 bolts like on an alternator. A lot of other parts have to be removed before you can get to actually removing the pump, and there are new gaskets and seals to replace. As for it being a DIY job; for some, yes, for others, no.
Reply to
willshak

Changing out an alternator is easy enough to do , most backyarders can handle that.

The water pump is a different story as the timing belt needs to come off, unless you are an above average backyarder and have replaced a couple timing belts and know what's involved then this is not a job for you .

If the timing belt is not installed correctly the vehicle will not run or barely run if only 1 tooth off , any more than that you can and will damage the valve train meaning the cylinder heads will need to come off and the bent valves replaced.(REALLY BIG JOB, BIG $$$$)

I'm not trying to scare you ,just telling you the truth.

good luck

Reply to
NissTech